Friday, April 29, 2011

Until recently, I was the biggest guy I knew. When I was a teenager, I resented it. I felt it made me seem imposing and intimidating, but it was a trait that was always strongly attributed to me. Once I got over my insecurity, I began to enjoy having this unique trait... But now, it seems like everywhere I go, there's someone bigger than me!

At my last workplace, there was someone bigger than me... At the CWY meet, there was someone bigger than me... At Karate, there's someone bigger than me... At my new workplace, there's two people bigger than me.

Seriously, the only person I can think of that I knew who was bigger than me, in the entirety of my lifespan, before starting work at my previous placement about two months ago, was my high school grade 12 English teacher. That's it.

But it's okay, right? Just stay away from those guys, and surround yourself with midgets, right?

Well, the first guy introduced himself to me individually, and we wound up sitting next to each other in the breakroom. Second guy was the first person I met, us having both showed up before everyone else at the meeting, at the same time, and both being from Guelph... And me helping him find the bus station afterwards. The Karate guy is a blackbelt who gives me a ride home, he's the first person I ever sparred with, and he gave me free sparring gear... And then, one of the guys at the new workplace, I started with him the same day, did orientation with him, and then sat with him until he got... fired. The other guy... Heh... I beat in an arm wrestle. Well... We agreed to be equals, but he's the one who appealed... I'm new, so I don't want to hurt a senior worker's pride, so I accepted. But really, you don't make that appeal unless you're scared.

ANYWAY, as you can see, I forged close relationships with each one of these people. I think this is fate's way of, first, getting me to accept myself, and then, making sure I don't start thinking this quality is the entirety of my being.

You know how I remember how to get home from downtown? My home is on Grange street. Grange turns into Grove, and Grove turns into Rose. So I remember by thinking that... Grange sounds like range, and a grove is on a range, and a rose is on a grove. When I told Mom that, she quoted that Dr. Seuss, Fox in Socks book... You know, about...

"Look, sir. Look, sir.
Mr Knox, sir.
Let's do tricks with
bricks and blocks, sir."

Maybe not that exact quote, but it's true, with memory tricks like I use, it's no wonder I'm always getting lost...

No comments:

Post a Comment