Thursday, April 21, 2011

Working Good Friday

They asked me back for Good Friday, which means I'm going to be paid double time. That's a little bit surprising, since they didn't ask us back for the two weekend days following. I'd think that, if they wanted one day of labour, they wouldn't make it the day that costs them twice as much. But I'm not going to tell them otherwise!

Hey, I got to train someone today! It was play cool. It was the guy's first job in a factory, and I think I did a pretty good job. All four machines were running at once, and by the end of the day, he was keeping pace. At first, I showed him how to do everything, and there was a buildup, which is natural. My supervisor told me to put his training on hold, and to just keep all the machines going. So I catch up, explain stuff to him as he goes... When there's no buildup, I let him try a part. The parts build up a little... I catch him up, let him do it again. About two thirds of the day through, he's doing most of it on his own, but when the parts exceed what he can do in the next load, I take over and catch him up. By the end of the day, he's doing it on his own.

I impressed myself, just with my performance, too. The supervisor told me to hold pace with the machines, and that I didn't have time to train. But not only did I keep pace, I finished the buildup from the training segment, then I finished the buildup that the last shift left me... Probably from another training segment, and then I trained the new guy well enough that he was keeping pace with all four machines by the end of the shift.

They said they're going to put me on the "big machine" now. Supervisor told me it was a promotion and that I'm going up in the world.

I... got a girl's phone number today. It was really pathetic, though. She basically had to ask me to ask her for it. Now, what the hell do I do with it? I hate myself.

CWY has provided me the names of the people in my group, but it looks like they've only told me the Canadians. There are six names so far. I've been watching this list grow. I was the first person to be selected for this group. I don't remember how big a CWY group is, but I remember it was bigger than a Katimavik one, but not twice as big... So, between 12 and 21. Half are Canadian, so this might be the extent of the Canadian side of things. There are four Ontarians and two people from BC. This is exactly how it was in Katimavik. They put such an emphasis on placing people based on geography, so that each group would be diverse, and implied that people of a visible minority would be given precedence in the selection, but final result was almost all Ontarians and BC people, with a few Quebecois, almost no one from anywhere else, and almost no one of a visible minority.

No comments:

Post a Comment