Thursday, June 28, 2012

Driving Lessons Near Completion

Well, I have done every aspect of driving, and my grandfather says that I am over 80% in every aspect.  He says I'm competent enough to drive, even if I should keep practicing, and that I'm pretty much ready for my test.  There's a biker's reunion in New Liskeard, the largest nearby town, which is an annual celebration that pulls in tourists.  We're kind of avoiding that, so we'll keep practicing in the smaller towns and then get a little more practice in New Liskeard after that blows out, after which, we're going to see if I can get tested before I have to go back.  If not, it's possible that I can get ahold of a car, or even get a few driving lessons, and get familiarized with Guelph and then tested there before I head out to college.

Of course, even though I'm familiar with Guelph, I am not familiar with it from the perspective of a driver.  I don't know how fast one perspective translates to the other.

I sorted out my best photos and got them on the computer over here.  Unfortunately, it takes a long time to upload photos on this connection.  I tried to send three photos of the chipmunk to my mom, and I crashed gmail three times.  Every time, I'd try to go somewhere else, which would work, but for awhile, I couldn't go to Google.  I thought I'd crashed the entire site!  The company that has more power than mostg countries, brought down by someone trying to upload three photos on dial-up.

I just remembered the other day why the Malians called me "Elephant".  The obvious assumption is that it's because I'm big, right?  Well, I'm sure there was an element to that, but before anyone started calling me that casually, they asked me if it would be okay to call me "Elephant" and they gave an explanation for it.  They said they likened me to an elephant because I'm quiet, and because I laugh.

Okay, quiet I can kind of see.  But are elephants known to laugh?  I guess they figure that some forms of trumpeting are laughter.

1 comment:

  1. In my experience, there will always be a reasonable difference between driving-perspective and other-perspective (bus-rider, bike-rider, walker, what have you). Driving means decision-making and faster thinking. I've noticed that even though I have an excellent memory, there are times when I struggle to drive to a place I've only been to as a passenger before ... this may be similar to riding the bus, where you really only have to know where to get on, what bus(es) to take, and where to get off. Drivers have to manage everything in between, too.

    However, knowing an area from a different perspective should mean you'll pick things up faster than someone with no experience there at all. Street signs, intersections, etc. will be familiar to you, even if not quite in the same way.

    ReplyDelete