Monday, June 11, 2012

Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers

Well, today I found out that MISTER T sent me a DIRECT TWEET on Twitter!  Whaaaaaaaaat?!  He hasn't made a Tweet in three years!  I didn't think he was still active!  How is he aware of me, and why did he send me what he did?  I know that the account I'm signed up with is the actual Mister T, and not a fake, but maybe it's still a spam bot that somehow got into his account and is now sending his followers direct tweets.  Still, what he sent me was relevant to his interests, and relevant to something I referenced about him over Twitter.  I think a Direct Tweet might be the Twitter equivalent of a Private Message, so I won't go into detail here.  My privacy policy is in effect, even for a celebrity.

I started following him after his inactivity was well established, and he's lost a lot of subscribers in those three years.  I'm thinking that being a new subscriber during this time and having made a reference to him could have pulled in more attention than it normally would... somehow.  I know that's the kind of thing that basically any site nowadays does... except, Twitter is really simple and for the most part doesn't have functions like that.  It might have one, I don't know.  But if it does, I'm not aware of it.  I guess I got lucky, and Mister T just remembered he had a Twitter account and see what kind of activity he'd had since he left.

I noticed that if I get my college diploma in social service work, I'm eligible to apply at the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (kind of a cumbersome name, if you ask me).  I wondered, what kind of organization is that?  So I looked it up and found their website.  Here it is:  http://www.ocswssw.org/en/about.htm

After some looking through it, I still don't know what it is.  It's a fairly sizeable website.  It defines itself as a "regulatory body".  It defines Social Work and Social Service Work.  It outlines the credentials needed to become a member.  But... Is it an actual college?  Do you take courses there?  How long are they?  What would the tuition be?  Where is there campus located?

Looks like you... just apply, and they make you a member.  What I would get out of it would be the privilege of saying that I'm a Registered Social Service Worker by the Government of Ontario.  I guess the implication is that, should I just graduate with my diploma, I would be a person with a Social Service Worker diploma, and if I got a job as a Social Service Worker, I would still just be a person with a job in that field.  But if I was a registered Social Service Worker, then even if I went back to being a machine operator, I would be a Social Service Worker doing a machine operating job.  Sounds like a scam.  Any credential that you can just buy isn't really a credential.

No comments:

Post a Comment