Monday, June 18, 2012

Invitation to College Orientation

I got an email from the college inviting me to an orientation day before the start of school.  Originally, it was scheduled for the 11th of this month, which was too bad for me, because it was exactly smack-dab in the middle of my time up here.  I had to, unfortunately, make the decision that it wasn't feasible to attend.  However, apparently they changed the date, and now orientation is being held on August 28th.  I'll be home well before that.

They also sent me a list of places in the area where students might live during their time at college.  Many of these places are cheaper than residence, although not by a great deal, so it's something to consider.  There are certainly enough places looking for student tenants to ease my nerves to a point.

Driving's coming along.  I'm doing parallel parking now, and it's the last thing to learn.  I've done everything, and now it's only a question of refinement.  My grandfather has tentatively estimated that in a week or two I might be ready for my exam.

My brother's looking into a youth program.  Same one I did, before Katimavik.  The one at the employment centre.  The program has really grown since I took it.  I'm jealous.  It is now a four month program, whereas it was only for one month when I took it.  Also, it guarantees a placement in the workforce.  The program actually pays the wages of the student during their "trial period"  Whether or not they count the work placement trial period as part of the program in their four month statement, I don't know.  When I took it, they gave a two week reimbursement for four weeks of wages to anyone that hired you, but they didn't guarantee work at the end.

No matter what way you slice it, it's at least double the length it used to be, and it guarantees a foot in the door at graduation.  If it's four months in class, that's longer than a CWY or Katimavik rotation, and if it's two months in class and two on the field, that's still two rotations of the length of my Thunder Bay rotation.  Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment