Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lead Pipe Problem

Okay, so my chipmunk friend now follows me out into the wilderness, and he will even beg at me from the other side of a closed window.  That surprised me, because it means that he is able to recognize me by sight alone.  I don't know much about chipmunks, but I had assumed that it relied on other senses, such as smell, moreso than sight.  I know that I will sometimes scare birds off if I move suddenly on the other side of the glass, but even then, they are only sensing my presence to the point of noticing a sudden movement.  This chipmunk moves beyond motion comprehension, and into personal comprehension.

In other news, it turns out that, as a follow-up to our plumbing problem back in Guelph, they checked the general condition of our pipe system to make sure there were no other impending issues.  Turns out, there was a lead pipe, and further tests on our water confirm that there are traces of lead in it.  This means that we are going to have to get that pipe replaced, and it further means that we have been subjected to lead poisoning!

Now, I get the impression that it's not that serious, and I guess I probably drank more dangerous water in Mali, but still.  Apparently, if you run the tap for 30 seconds to two minutes, you get most of the lead out.  Mom says she's already been doing that most of the time, just to get it cold.  I haven't!  And I drink tap water like crazy!  The Guelph tap water is Nestle bottled water.  They pull that stuff straight from our taps.  It's one of Guelph's perks that you get commercial spring water straight from the tap.  I chug that stuff down like nobodies business, and I don't wait for it to get cold, either.  I'm probably full of lead by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment