Sunday, March 3, 2013

Savings and Proverbs

My Savings account has netted me $35. Not bad, but I'm willing to bet that my bank fees have surpassed my earnings, and I just counted up my change, and I've got $32 in quarters, and $33 in dimes and nickles. That's $65! Far better than my Savings account, and I've been using my change, unlike my Savings. I guess a penny saved is a penny earned.

That reminds me. We killed the penny.  I'm wondering what will become of phrases like "Penny for your thoughts", "Let me give you my two cents", and of course, the aforementioned "A penny saved is a penny earned". Eh... They'll probably stick around. Sayings don't just go away because they've become irrelevant. Tons of popular sayings, such as "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" or "What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" just off the top of my head, aren't too relevant to modern-day living. Besides,  I don't think anyone's ever asked to give me a penny for my thoughts. I don't even know why I know that saying.Just like I don't know that the chicken crossed the road to get to the other side. I feel like I've only heard variants of that joke, because everybody knows the original answer, somehow.

We need to come up with sayings that are relevant to today's age. Stuff like "You can't judge a Kindle by it's hard drive". That's really unoriginal, and it doesn't make much sense. "People with the same brand of smart phone... flock together." I'm really bad at this.

I like this one "I fear not the man who has practiced 1000 kicks once, I fear the man who has practiced one kick 1000 times." Know who s aid that? Bruce Lee said that. I also like "It takes one flame to light 1000 candles." Thought of the day from my old high school's morning announcements. They also had "You can tell a smart man from his answers, you can tell a wise man from his questions."

No comments:

Post a Comment