Friday, March 29, 2013

Week is Over

Well, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm on the other side that incredible week. For my first assignment, I was in a group of six that had to stand by a display for a cultural issue. Our group got Islamophobia. There was some turmoil over group planning and one member got booted from the team. Another group wants to execute three of their members. That's half a team. The professor said that under normal circumstances, he will favour a group decision and give the excluded member a make-up assignment. Don't what he's going to do when half the team wants half the team gone.

But on the day of the assignment, I was shocked at how many haters we got. We got no Islamic people visiting us, we only got people coming up to us, telling us why they hate Muslims. We had a few classmates and some professors visit our stand, and they were, for the most part, reasonable. Although we even got to see a touch of in-class hate.

This day, we also handed in a take-home exam that comprised six questions. We got to write it with a partner, and me and my partner both wrote two pages per question. Then, the next day we all had to hand in a six-page Psych assignment.

Next day, final mock counseling session, and had to submit case notes from last week's session, plus a homework assignment of an equivalent size to the aforementioned midterm exam. Then the next day, I had to hand in another major assignment, and I also had to do a 15 minute presentation and also an exam-level test for Sociology.

Wound up doing tarot cards for the 15 minute presentation. It was just a presentation to show that we could do presentations, so we could choose anything. The only requirement put to us was that the topic be "not depressing". The only topic me and my partner shared even a drop of interest in, and knowledge of, and that wasn't drop-dead depressing was tarot cards.

I used a Google Drive Powerpoint, and forgot to put it on Present at first, and later on, I realized that I had the definitions for Cups and Pentacles swapped on the Powerpoint, and I cussed during the presentation. Don't really know what we're going to get on that, since we obviously made mistakes and vocally admitted it during the presentation, but we got the class worked up and interested, and the mistakes almost added to it. The prof teased us, was nodding and smiling throughout, and at the end said "good job" which he doesn't say for everyone. People have told me since then that I sounded so professional, it was like something out of a book.

So, whatever. I didn't really think I was going to be able to do it at all. Straight A students are failing to hand in assignments around this time of the year, but somehow I've managed to always keep my head above water. My only blemish is that brochure assignment.

We were planning to do a reading after the slideshow. My partner thought that the entire presentation should be a reading, but I said that 15 minutes might seem like a short time, but that it would feel like an eternity in front of the class. I said we should do a slideshow outlining the tarot and then move into the reading.

He said we should have seven slides. I made 21. He was right. The slideshow took up just about exactly 15 minutes and we had to terminate the reading. Bah. We didn't really have the time to do practice runs, with everything else going on.

The Sociology exam was right after the tarot presentation. Thought I was going to get smashed because that's the legendary class that has flunked so many people who didn't study. I hadn't had the time to really properly study for it, so I was nervous. But it went fine, I think.

That last day was really the climax, and I can't believe that I finished it all and had enough energy to get myself on a bus so that I could go home for Easter. I gotta scan a few certificates for my portfolio assignment.

Next week, I have a presentation for Psych on Profiling the Great Psychologists, the brochure assignment, and some Islamophobia group questions. After that, it's another pretty heavy week, but not at the same level as this passing week. I've been averaginf four hours sleep per night for the past four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment