Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Beginning the Job Search

Well, I just updated my resume to include my recent education and volunteer experience and, to be honest, I'm not in love with the new format. Before, I had Katimavik and CWY both down as work experience and also under "Additional Programs" I cut them out from work experience and kept them only as additional programs as a way of making space. Now, my most recent work experience is back from my Linamar days.

On my resume, I always expand more on my work experience than on my other credentials, but now, I have enough under education, additional programs, and volunteer experience that my work experience no longer dominates the paper. Because my other experiences are put in a more concise manner, I feel like my resume right now is more statements of the where and what of my positions, rather than descriptions of what I did.

It also kind of bugs me that, since I place work experience before anything, even though I've kept busy the last while and anyone who reads my resume will know this, the first impression that my resume gives is my gap in time between work experiences. First impressions matter after all.

But I don't really have any more info that I would like to take off, and I don't want to branch onto another page until I'm 30, lest I make myself seem too "busy" and therefore undedicated.

I went to my old youth employment agency today and worked through all their job listings. Surprisingly slim pickings, although they did have a section for student summer jobs. There's this new program which subsidizes employers for hiring students during the summer. So that trims the competition down a bit, and I might take the advantage there.

No comments:

Post a Comment