Friday, May 24, 2013

Sunflower

I finally planted my sunflower outside. One sunflower in a garden in and of itself that I hand-dug just for it. I'm fully aware that it might get bitten in half by a squirrel tomorrow, but now at least I know that I gave the thing a fighting chance. Before planting it outside, I transplanted it into a larger pot, just because these frosts keep swinging by so late into the Spring. Eventually, I figured that you just can't grow a sunflower indoors, especially not in a basement apartment, and I did the outdoors transplant.

This happened two days ago. I tied it to a little stick near the base to keep it sturdy, since it didn't seem to be taking well to being an outdoor plant, and was drooping a bit. There was a frost on the first night, but despite that, the next day, it was standing up triumphantly. Next day, I had to walk in on the sight of the poor flower having been knocked over by wind, it's stem bent where it was tied to the stick. That's going to haunt me, since I wanted to give it a fighting chance and, in the end, it was my innovative idea to help it that wound up dealing it a potentially fatal blow. If I had left it untied, then it would have probably bent all the way, instead of snapping it at it's midsection. If I had tied it nearer it's top half, it would have probably stayed upright along with the stick. My idea to give it "just a little help" in standing up was what sealed it's fate.

Poor thing. I put a larger stick next to it and tied it's top portion to that, so that it is upright with it's leaves facing the sun. Since it is all still connected, I figured I'd give it a shot. Coming back to check on it, it has fanned out it's leaves and is absorbing sunlight, so it is at least showing some attempt to live. It is probably doomed at this point though, honestly.

I found two pairs of shoes in our storage room the other day. Around my size and a good deal better quality than I usually buy. So random. I asked Mom where they came from and she said that she thought I must have brought them back from one of my trips. I really don't remember anything of that nature, but whatever. Free shoes!

My Facebook Scrabble application updated itself and needed to terminate all games currently in place to implement the new formatting, Since my opponent was the one to play last in all three matches, it declared me the loser for each of them!  What kind of logic is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment