Thursday, May 30, 2013

More Box Factory

Today I got to be present for the beginning of the shift at the box factory. One thing I noticed when I went in, is that the factory was shut down. All the lights were off, and no machines running. Turns out, they don't have a night shift, so the factory gets to rest during the night.

During my first long-term job, it always fascinated me that the factory never sleeps. I don't know, it's just a concept that I got caught up with. Now, it surprises me when a factory DOES sleep.

Next interesting thing is when the first five minutes of my day comprised a stretching routine. I guess it's a good idea. Manual labour gets you cramped up and I always see people stretching during the day, after they've already been cramped. It's probably better to get yourself limbered up beforehand.

They call the lunchroom the "cafeteria" and it even has a sign that says it, but it doesn't provide food. Even the vending machines are outside of it. Their food option comes from a lunch truck. In my book, a lunchroom is a room where you go to eat lunch, and a cafeteria is a place that offers food. Since this place does offer a food option, I guess I'm just quibbling over terminology.

Today I spent my day folding and gluing giant boxes, instead of punching out perforated lines.

I got called back for tomorrow. Three days of work in a row. Not bad. But I'm still on a day-by-day call-in system, so I still feel pretty temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment