Sunday, August 11, 2013

Name Drop

Well, I'm out of work this Monday, but I'll tell you what you, my beautiful readers, can do about that. I usually avoid stating the names of the places I work, because, I don't know, if an employer ever bothered to Google me and found this blog, they might not feel all that comfortable knowing that I was publishing inside information on them, even if I wasn't saying anything all that bad. But I'm gonna break that rule this time around, since I don't plan on making any complaints.

I get called into my order picking position based on demand, and demand is based on how many orders they get. So why don't you mosy over to www.well.ca and buy a lot of stuff? Preferably, buy value packs of diapers. Those are really large and people have to get carts and bins to move them, slowing things down and making more work. Or order makeup. It always takes a bit to find the exact product and brand combination, since all those items are so small. Or get chips, since people might look at how many grams they are, pick a small box, find that despite relatively few grams of food, they take a relatively large amount of space due to the air packaging, and this will force the worker to backtrack and pick a more appropriately sized box.

Or buy a Jolly Jumper. Those are so big that they don't even fit in a bin and they have to be specially wrapped by someone in the back. Those take up time too.

In all honesty, I would need at least several hundred people to make orders, or one person to make several hundred separate orders, to make a significant difference in number of required employees.

Oh well, long weekend I guess.

We sometimes package products from some brand called Dr. Bronner's. It's all-natural fair trade stuff. What draws the eye is the fact that it is so covered in tiny text. At a glance, you assume that it will be about the ingredients of the product, or their effects, or even the policies of the company. But every time I've snatched a glance, I've more often than not read a portion of some kind of unusual proverb. Last one I read was something about becoming like a bird to perfect yourself, but I can't exactly stop to read for any length, so I haven't even been able to learn the context of anything I've read. I want to buy one of those products, just so that I can sit down and read it all. If I order it through the site, I might even package my own product, and get a little note with my initials on it.

In my work, I have to read the set of numbers on a list, memorize them, and then read the list of numbers beneath a bar code on a product to make sure they match. Every time I see a bar code now, even when I'm not working, I find myself memorizing the list of numbers. It's a reflex.

I also take note every time I see a product outside of work that I sometimes package when I'm in work. It's like when my thinking process changed when I was working as a machine operator. Looking back at some of my posts from that time have a really different tone than from most of the rest of the time that I've been publishing to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment