Friday, August 2, 2013

College Confirmation Scare

Here, let me tell you a story that I have only recently found a mouth to speak of.

I am paying my tuition through a Trust Fund, and awhile back, I sent information on how payment should be made. However, last Monday, I received a letter in the mail that said that I had not paid my tuition fees in time, and so they had eliminated me from my program. They said that I had seven days to contact them if I wanted to reclaim my position.

The letter was dated eight days previous to when it arrived.

The envelope showed that it had been mailed two days after it was dated.

I had been on my Student Portal the previous day, and nothing indicated that anything was wrong. However, in this following day, there was no evidence that I was ever enrolled in the Social Service Worker program.

I reflected on the 900 applicants, 600 of which would make it to the info session, and the 60 of which had been accepted. I reflected on my 20-page application folder that I had prepared, and all of my friends that had failed to get into it.

The warning letter said that the position was on a first-come first-serve basis if I did not respond within 7 days. I reflected on the 500 qualified applicants that wanted my position.

Now, I must say, who does this? Send a warning only post-elimination, send the warning only through snail-mail, and then neglect to send it for two days after it was issued? They had my phone and email addresses...

I spent one sleepless night, then called them. I was worried, because they said to contact the person in charge of my application, and since my warning time had already expired, I worried that there was no one in charge of my application anymore.

But there was. I phoned, told Front Desk of my dilemma. They asked me what my student number was and birthday. I told them. They put me through to a girl who, upon introduction, re-admitted me and gave me two more weeks to make a payment. I checked the Student Portal, and indeed, everything was how it used to be. Just like that.

They had their paycheque the same day, and since, it has been processed and confirmed. I'm confirmed to be in the program now. Only an exciting statement after the scare.

No comments:

Post a Comment