Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Taking a Look at Courses

Here is the list of courses I will be taking in the coming semester.

Introduction to College Writing

Developmental Psychology

Introduction to Professional Practice

Social Service Systems 1

Social Work and the Law

Group Process and Dynamics

That "Developmental Psychology" course is giving me an ominous feeling. Last year, I was told that I would not have to take three courses, due to my having done them already. They were the two Psych courses and the Sociology one. However, the Psych courses I took were Psychology: Basic Processes of Behaviour, and Psychology: Dynamics of Human Behaviour. Both are a little bit different. Plus, the course codes were PSYC1010 and PSYC1020 respectively. This Developmental Psychology course is PSYC1040.

So maybe both of the Psych courses and the Sociology course are second semester, and I'll just have a super-light second semester, but I doubt it...

I think I heard SSW has a course that's very similar to, but not the same as our Group Dynamics and Conflict Management course from last year. I suspect that's the Group Process and Dynamics course...

I don't know how I feel about doing the two Intro courses... I feel like I went through that stuff last year. My feelings are that the Psych and Group Dynamics courses will be very much like courses I took last year, and the two Intro classes may be similar to the prep stuff we did last year, too. Might not be a very stimulating first semester. Hopefully we get into something meaty second semester.

Actually, just a second, I'll look it up...

Yeah, okay, I just checked, and there's not one overlapping program in the entire two years. They must have changed the curriculum. I took HSF the one year that they cancelled the co-op and added Math, and this is the first year that none of the courses overlap. I know they did last year, because I spoke to two people who'd been through HSF the year prior and were doing their first year of SSW when I was doing HSF.

Oh, well. At least second semester and all of the following year look incredibly interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment