Saturday, February 22, 2014

Driver's License, Segu, Hair Salon

I got my driver's license renewed. It's just my G1 but I don't have to wait a year before I test for my G2 like I did when my license was fresh. I was worried I was going to "reset". I noticed, though, that they didn't take my photo. If I had thought of that while I was there, I would have asked about it, but I didn't think of it until after-the-fact. They said I'll have my license in two to six weeks.  I guess we'll see what happens. I kind of wanted some photo ID that has me with the beard.

I dropped by Value Village and checked their book section after I got my license. I picked up a copy of Watership Down and Shogun because we don't have copies right now. The real find, though, was a book called Segu. That's a region in Mali where my counterpart lives. It's about the introduction of Islam to the Segu, and one of the protagonists is a Traore, which is my Malian family name. I couldn't believe it. I would not have thought to pick up a book named Segu before that trip, not knowing that Segu was in Mali, or even in Africa. The book's description doesn't even use the name Mali, I figured it out because of my knowledge of their regions, history, and names. This book sounds like it's based pre-colonization, so the term "Mali" was probably not used.

My brother landed a pretty sweet volunteering gig at a hair salon. He had to volunteer for it, and he's got a schedule he's obligated to follow. It feels like a part-time job, except he doesn't get paid. Looks like it might lead somewhere, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment