Saturday, May 24, 2014

New Roommates

I'm in Kitchener this weekend because a friend of mine is having a Stag & Doe. I went back to my house and noticed a few subtle changes. I was expecting some because my landlord was giving it a makeover, but as I looked around, I noticed there were shoes I didn't remember and food in the fridge I didn't remember. Now, my ex-roommates left some stuff behind, so at first I chalked it up to that, but as I looked around, I noticed some different themes in the new housewear.

I shouted out my presence with no response, and I knocked on all the room doors. Three were open and three were locked. I got no response.

I deduced that someone else is living here, and from the shoe and food selection, I determined that they were:
1) East Indian
2) Female
3) Probably vegetarian

Got sick of the suspense and contacted my landlord. He said there are two girls living in the basement.

Wonder if I'll be living in a girl house this year. My previous setup was pretty testosterone-fueled (five guys and two girls)

I think being in an all-female program is giving me a bit of an affectation. Last week, I actually turned down a work shift because I said I needed to get a Greyhound ticket, I needed to make sure my place in Kitchener had a clothing selection, and I needed to buy shoes.

I slotted almost an entire day to shoe shopping.

I came to my senses, called the agency, and asked if they still had the shift, which they did. I told the guys at work and they were all like "But you already have shoes" and I was like "Yeah, but they're not presentable. They're not suitable for a social occasion."

Even though I took the shift, I still managed to buy shoes today. I knew my size and the style I wanted, but when I got there, I wound up trying on all the shoes in my size and then I bought a different pair. And I bought a pair of slippers.

Maybe it's because I've been eating so much soy and tofu lately. I started looking after my health a bit, and I'm not very clever when it comes to understanding the human body, but I know I've managed to drop thirty pounds twice in the past. Once in Katimavik and once in CWY, so I can at least follow the patterns that helped me then. In Katimavik, my poor attempt at trying vegetarianism left me malnourished but still taught me that meat stays in your system, so I've been limiting my intake of it, and I've found that tofu is both cheap and versatile. There's a stigma against it in the "macho man" community (which I belong to) because it gives you estrogen (supposedly). But I was all "Whatever, I'm a testosterone tank, a little estrogen would probably be good for me".

Well, two weeks later and I'm shoe shopping.

That was probably a nutritionally ill-informed and sexist rant.

I just got called back from Extend-a-Family for an interview to be a camp counselor. It would be next Thursday and I have an interview to be a front desk person at 2ndchance next Wednesday. I won't be able to work Wednesday, Thursday or Friday next week (I'll have to stay overnight in Kitchener on Thursday since the interview is 5-8) because I'll be too busy interviewing.

For the front desk job, one of my closer friends is going for it. And because of some circumstances I'm not willing to elaborate on over public media, I would feel just awful to snipe his opportunity. But I have to go for it, because in the end, all us SSW friends will be competing for work, and it would be so condescending for me to act like he couldn't compete with me, and what if I bow out, and then he doesn't get it? I have to still go for it with everything I've got.

I'm wearing red to the interview, and he's wearing blue. I said red speaks to ambition, motivation, energy, and assertion. He said that blue is calming, soothing, gentle, and approachable. He says blue is best for social services, I say red works best no matter what field you're in.

Oh, funny thing. I'm probably a little bit colour blind. I confuse some of the lighter shades of red and brown. All my life, I would argue with people over if certain shades were red or brown, and I would be contested hotly and unanimously. Only when talking it over recently though, did it really come together that I'm literally just a teense colour blind. I looked up if it was possible to be partially colour blind, and it is very, very possible.

It's not a big deal. Just a few shades in the "reddish brown" territory, but it's an interesting tidbit to learn about myself, having lived with it so long and only realizing it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment