Tuesday, June 17, 2014

First Couple Days of Work

Well, I've done two days of work now. This week is all training. We've done some team building exercises, learned how to help someone in a wheelchair get in and out of a van, we've done some research practices, gone over paperwork, done some personality tests and done some conflict management training.

We did the Personality Dimensions test, which is a new version of True Colours, which I'd done three times in the past. The idea is that there are four dimensions of a person's personality, and different ones are more dominant than others.

The past three times, I've always been primarily green (intellectual) followed by blue (empathetic) followed by orange (adventurous) and then gold coming in last (organized). It was always really close between green and blue, but green always won. This time around, I got green and blue evenly. I was the only person to have an exact blend like that. I've been told this combination makes me the best possible person to have a conflict with.

I got to meet another roommate. There are currently four people including myself living in this house.

It's a weird feeling to be here. Yesterday I walked to the grocery store and I felt the heat of summer on me, and I looked around and saw the trees lush and green. I realized that, even though I'd made the walk many times, I'd never done it at this time of year. Everything around me was familiar, yet it was all new.

And I'm not a student at the moment, I'm living here as a working man, haha. It just feels different.

I'm depending on my mom and brother to take care of the garden while I'm away, though. I put up some chicken wire so that should keep animals out (think a rabbit ate our cabbage). If I got a plant here, then I'd really be setting down roots (haha). I think I'm still a bit too nomadic for that.

It actually felt a bit bad leaving Well. It wasn't my type of work, but it was the best industrial atmosphere I'd ever been in and I liked the people there.

I wound up getting some work at that plastic factory before I left, so I felt better about rejecting it in favour of job searching before. Also, today I was offered an interview at Anishnabeg Outreach. I'm so flippin' employable now. Completely different game from when I'd just left high school.

1 comment:

  1. Your new True Colours is pretty similar to mine - my blue and green have always been very nearly equal, although I think blue was just a hair's breadth ahead for me. Then a middling amount of orange, and hardly any gold.

    I would have thought with all the adventures you've had, your orange would be higher!

    ReplyDelete