Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sleep Patterns

Last week on my first day of training, I was so nervous that I didn't sleep a wink. Planned ahead, lay myself down at an appropriate time, and continued to lie sleeplessly in bed for eight hours. I haven't been that wound up in years.

Next day, I made up for it and accidentally slept in, missed my bus and had to call a cab. Really expensive. I got up to $30, and the cab driver stopped the meter. He said, "I won't charge you more than $30." I thanked him and he said "It's no problem, we're almost there." But then we drove for like, another ten minutes. Guy shaved like, $10 off my fare. Never experienced that. It miiight be because we talked about it being my second day of training at EAF and sleeping in because I couldn't sleep at all the first day, but who knows.

Fourth day, we had a shift dedicated to team-building which had a rigorous physical element (very humbling). When we got back, I was so exhausted I passed out. Woke up at 10:45 PM, thought it was 10:45 AM and panicked thinking I was almost two hours late. Ran downstairs and bumped into my roommate, saw all the windows were dark, realized my mistake and burst out laughing. Me and my roommate shared a good laugh, although she didn't know what we were laughing about until I collected myself enough to explain.

I got my EAF Staff T-shirts the other day. Feeling pretty good about them.

I finally got my Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certificate, although I got it on the same day I started my Safe Management training (which replaces NVCI). So I got my certificate the same day I started to earn its replacement (although NVCI is still valuable to other agencies). I got to be in the final group of NVCI in EAF and the first SM group.

Remember how I lost my Segu book (novel based on the region of Mali where my counterpart lives)? Well, I just found it wedged beneath my dresser. So happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment