Friday, July 18, 2014

Debit Card

Last Wednesday, a bank machine ate my debit card. It said "Temporarily out of service, please try again later" or something like that. I looked down to see my card having been ejected and in the process of being retracted. So painful to see your card being swallowed past the point of no return. I hammered on the "cancel" and "correct" buttons on the ATM keyboard, but as you can imagine, that won't do anything after the machine has logged you out.

I actually took out a pen, wrote "OUT OF SERVICE" on an envelope and stuck it to the machine. I decided to believe that, instead of fate picking on me, I was actually there to prevent others from having their cards eaten, since not everyone might be so considerate as to leave an out of order notice.

And then the next day we had a staff meeting, so work ran late. We let out at seven and the bus ride is roughly an hour long, with the bank closing at eight. I managed to get there ten minutes before closing. The woman at front desk, instead of offering to retrieve my card, said she'd print me out a new one. I've actually had my card eaten by the same machine in the past (when that happened, they said it had never happened before) and then, they'd just gotten it back for me. This time, I had it redone with the new Visa adaptation, which means I can spend money online.

But the Debit-Visa isn't an actual credit card, just an adaption to my debit card that allows me to spend online.  However, she also offered me the Student Visa card, which is a credit card available to students. Remember how in the past,  I went through the credit card application phase and was denied because even though my credit rating was good, I didn't have enough of it? Well, this time around, I didn't even have to do an interview and see if I'd be accepted. We were able to complete the acceptance process in what remained of the ten minutes that were left after I'd had my debit card reprinted.

No comments:

Post a Comment