Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cooking

I got together with an old friend from HSF this weekend who wound up going to an SSW program in another city. It's been over a year, but it didn't feel so dramatic when he showed up, as if we'd seen each other just the other day. We went out for lunch at a Thai-Vietnamese restaurant just across the street from the school which I'd never bothered to visit but had always wondered about. It had good portions for the price. Probably people more refined would criticize it but it was good enough for me.

I've been doing a lot of cooking at home. I didn't do much of it in residence as I was only allowed to have a microwave (or a closed-element cooking utensil, but I didn't have anything better handy) and then last year because I... avoided using the kitchen area as much as I could (you can interpret that however you want).

Been making a lot of stirfry. Last one was rice with beans, zucchini, onion, cauliflower, mushrooms, and carrots with teriyaki and sriracha sauce. Kind of just remembered how the stirfry line at my school cafeteria did it and tried to replicate based on memory. First one had beef instead of beans and honey garlic instead of steriyaki, with a frozen vegetable pack instead of individually bought vegetables.

In Mali, I lost 30 pounds by eating rice constantly. In Chisasibi, I lost 30 on a vegetarian diet, so I'm supplementing my protein source with beans. I'm not too clever about nutrition, so I just try to replicate what's worked for me in the past. Hey, everyone's body is different, so you have to experiment to find out what works best for you personally.

I can make pasta too. These are like, the two things I can cook. You know that episode of Spongebob, where they go to the past and the caveman versions of Spongebob and Patrick discover fire and suddenly try putting different things on it to see if it tastes good? That's how I feel right now.

I'm about to try scrambled eggs. I know I've done that in the past. Heck, I was in Katimavik. I had to cook for a household for a week at a time when I was the House Manager. I know I'm capable of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment