Sunday, August 10, 2014

Camp Impeesa

Just a reminder to everyone, but I'll be going away for five days to overnight camp at Camp Impeesa So I won't have Internet, so don't expect blog updates.

We got to check the place out last week. Looks pretty spacious. We were told the name means "The Wolf That Never Sleepss" and was a nickname given to Robert Baden-Powell, the guy who started Scouts, when he was fighting in South Africa.

However, wolves don't exist in Africa and the actual translation is "Hyena" which is NOT a compliment. Sounds like Baden-Powell took a name given to him by his enemy and built it up in the most positive light he could:

-A hyena is a wild dog in Africa
-A wolf is a wild dog in North America
-"Hyena" could be "wild dog" translated to "wolf"
-I've seen hyenas running around at night and haven't seen them asleep
-You could consider them to be "wolves that never sleep"
-That sounds hardcore. I'll tell people that's what "Impeesa" means

But when I learned the meaning of this name, in my Segu book, the character the story is currently following, Malobali Traore, had fallen into service of the Ashanti people. The Ashanti were involved in the battle where Baden-Powell earned his title. So I'm a Traore, and my book has the lead Traore fall into service of the Ashanti people when I'm headed out to work at a place named after an Ashanti word. Coincidence?

Well, all I know is that the Ashanti were involved. Despite the Scouts being humble enough to admit that Baden-Powell was wrong about the translation and that the literal one is an insult, I cannot find which language "Impeesa" comes from. Aggravating.

I found out who killed my sunflower! Arg!

No comments:

Post a Comment