Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quit My Job

So, I found out where my money's been going. Mom's Disability adjusts her cheque based on the earnings I make. They expected me to pool all my money into the family, and at $12 an hour, I can't exactly support a family of three. The reason it looked like I was making money at the beginning was because there's a two month gap before they start deducting. And after you stop working, there's a two month gap before they start charging. That means that it's really an illusion that I've saved almost any money. I have to give back what they'll take after I stop working.

I've still saved money, but it's more in the vein of $200 instead of $2000. Five months of work for almost nothing.

So I quit.

I don't like to do it. But right now, everything I've saved came out of my family's pocket, and I've got a lot of stuff to do this month. Most of my preparation deadline's for CWY are due this month, not next.

At the agency, they asked me to do another shift while they prepared my replacement. I hadn't told anyone there that I was leaving, and I knew I wouldn't have it in me to ask the supervisor to sign my paysheet at the end of the day. I wore one of my "Volunteer" shirts that day, and someone called me out on it. He said "You're working for free?" and I said "Yeah, I'm working for free!"

And it was true~ Why not. I've been working for free for five months.

All my workmates must've been baffled at what happened to me. Oh, well. If I'd been closer, I would've felt more obligated to say goodbye, but really, I was only at the "Hey, how's it going?" level with anyone, and it didn't feel worth the awkwardness.

I'll let you in on a secret, one that I don't mind sharing now that I'm not there anymore. When the agency gave me the assignment, they told me it was for a machine operating position. Then they called me back and said that they actually wanted me on general labour. I got there, and while talking to the other people who were starting the same day, found out that the general labour position was only two weeks, while machine operating was ongoing. When they asked me what position I was there for, I said machine operating, and they just put me to work.

It was kind of funny... That place was primarily a training centre, so they had people training there to get jobs like the one I was working at the same location, but without any training.

My trainee got fired, by the way. He didn't show up for mandatory overtime, thought he had an extra day off for a holiday because that's how schools do it, showed up late for his second day, and went home early on his second day, because he was feeling sick.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this! It must be tremendously discouraging. What a crappy system. But don't worry about CWY -- we have that "educational" fund for you and it's more than enough. And maybe the Sibbald fund will contribute, too! Anyway ... enjoy your free time. It's a good idea to have a break before you go on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never understood why so many systems seem to be set up to discourage people from trying to help themselves. Why would they not decrease assistance more slowly than what you are providing for yourselves increases? (Rhetorical question; the answer is "this is what happens when rich people make laws.")

    ReplyDelete