Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cats Cats Cats

One of the things I really enjoy about these new animals is, I didn't name them. Seems like I've wound up making the final call for too many of our pet names. I've made such wise decisions as to name our first rat "Pretty", our gerbil "Scamper" our hamster "Furry", our cat "Blackavar" and our rabbit "Moss". The first three were descriptive, but the last two are references. "Blackavar" was a rabbit from the book Watership Down. That's right. We owned a rabbit and a cat, and I named the cat after a rabbit. Blackavar was my favourite rabbit from that book, but his personality was about directly the opposite from our cat. His alternate name propositions were "Charcoal" and "Sootfoot". As for our rabbit, Moss. If you ask me, I'll tell you it's because we rescued him from a neglectful situation, and that the toughest plant that can grow on anything is moss. Naming him after a plant is a tradition carried through our pet names, keeping with the Watership Down theme. It was just a matter of choosing the plant.

...Actually, that's what I'll tell you I'd tell you, but I'll most likely say "I dunno" because I know my alibi is BS. Truth be told, he's named after an unfortunate event in my life. An unfortunate event that was unfortunate when I chose that name for him. So, why did I name him that? I don't know. Seemed right at the time. Why do people keep taking my name ideas? I don't know that, either.

Whenever I tell people my rabbit's name, they say, "Like Kate Moss?" and I say "Who's Kate Moss?" I seriously don't know. I think she's a model. Maybe I should Google her sometime.

I don't think I have as much of a cat fixation as the rest of the rest in my family. I mean, if you put a cat in front of me, I'm going to love it. But if there isn't a cat in front of me, I don't think, "Oh no, I need a cat in front of me!"

I'm probably just in denial. In my group, one of the guys was complaining that girls drop conversation to pet an animal. He warned me never to trust a girl who likes animals. Later on, we ran across a cat, and I beckoned to it. When he frustratedly told me to "come on", I told him, "Fuck you, I want to pet the kitty". Similarly, when my group came across a cat, it would generally be all the girls plus Gryphon that paid attention.

My one trait that breached language barrier and helped me find common ground with those who didn't speak English was my attention to neighborhood cats, too.

So I guess all that tough-guy talk about being less cat-focused than the rest of my family was kind of unjustified, thinking back on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment