Friday, June 17, 2011

Vaccinations

I got my vaccinations! I got ALL my vaccinations. Remember that list huge they sent me, but that only required Yellow Fever? Well, turns out I already had a couple of those still in solid effect. After consultation and a description of where I was going, the immunization people decided it would be wisest to put me through the others, too. Cost wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Because of the cost of Yellow Fever, I thought I'd be paying close to $1000. But Yellow Fever turned out to be the most expensive, so I wound up paying under $500.

I'm supposed to pick up some anti-Malaria pills and I have a prescription for an anti-diarrhea drink that acts like a shot, so I guess I still have a few more expenses.

They told me that my left arm would be sore and heavy, like someone punched me really hard, for awhile. And it's true. Also, apparently I've been really quiet and slow. My family says it's like someone turned the volume down on me, and put me in slow-motion. I was talking to someone on the phone, and they said asked me if I had a cold, because my voice sounded raspy. This is weird, because I don't FEEL too different.

They wanted me to bring my immunization record to the consultation. That was weird, because they work at the place that has those records. I tried calling the people in charge of them, but I only ever got the answering machine. I left one message and then called daily, but never got a response. Fortunately, I remembered that they emailed me my records when I had to get them for Katimavik. So I looked them up and printed them out. They were like, two years old, but at least I had something I could hand them and say "I haven't had any vaccinations since", which was a lot better than nothing. When I got there, she said "Oh, you brought them! Thanks! Wait, I have a copy right here. You keep that." A lot of wasted anxiety over nothing. Oh, well.

The travel-person got in touch with me. Before, it was like, "Organize it yourself. Meet us at the airport, but you can't travel by plane."

Well, now they're funding my trip, have come up with a good schedule to travel by, they're fully reimbursing me, they've taught me how to navigate between the train station and the airport, and they've told me where exactly in the airport I have to go, and what to recognize them by.

Just waiting on my Criminal Record Check now. Just the other day, I got my driver's license with updated address. Since I ordered both things on the same day, if it took each of them a comparable amount of time to reach me, that's a good sign.

On my 13-point check-off CWY requirement list, there's only one left unchecked now. Although, there's really two steps, since they've suggested a method of travel, but I still have to buy the ticket.

I saw a Katimavik van the other day. One in GUELPH! It was driving by, so I didn't get a chance to approach. There wasn't a group in it, just a lot of furniture. I wonder if Guelph is getting it's own group? Or maybe stuff is just cheaper in Guelph than wherever they're going. I looked up "Katimavik Guelph" online, and what I got was a blog from a person whose group did a day trip excursion to Guelph. That's seems weird to me, but I know everyone, everywhere had the attitude that they were surprised anyone would travel to their hometown. Grass is always greener on the other side, I guess. There was also an article from our newspaper on two participants who were native to Guelph.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see they're paying for your trip (again). That would be a tough thing to have to handle at this point, even though I know you mentioned you could. So far, it sounds like a lot of groups, where the overall plan is sound but individual people within the organization don't all necessarily know what's going on. Once they get together, things seem to work out.

    ReplyDelete