Thursday, June 23, 2011

Denying Donation-Collectors

I'm posting this from the library computer. Not because our computer is down, which is usually the reason, but because it's UP. We have two computers... A laptop and a desktop, and usually, only one of them is up at a time. The desktop keeps breaking down, although I'd get yelled at for phrasing it that way, and the laptop has issues with it's charge cable, or whatever you call it.

Yeah, so, there's a lot of features that the desktop has, but the laptop doesn't. We don't get Internet access for both computers at the same time, either. So Internet access has been a bit scarce of late.

The library upgraded the Internet access length from 45 minutes to an hour, though, looks like.

I finally got a copy of my Criminal Record Check. It was done on June 20, but it got stuck in the mail, because of Canada Post going postal on me. I went personally to the police station, explained my situation, and they straight-up gave me a copy right then and there. Of course, that leaves me with the problem of getting that copy to them. I sent an email asking if it was alright for me to just scan a copy to them, and they said that it was.

So my 13-box travel preparation checklist has essentially been completed.

Saying that you're spending six months volunteering for overseas issues, with three months in a West African village of 750 is just about the best excuse you can give to counter those guys on the street, who jump you, trying to get signatures to donate for their campaign. It's like "So you're willing to be paid only $10 an hour to get signatures from people to donate for overseas issues? I'm oing to be paid $2 a day to volunteer personally in a developing society. TRUMP! Both your cause, and your dedication. Yes, you may shake my hand."

I used to walk away from those people feeling dirty and guilty. I think I've blogged about this before, but I'm a real chump when it comes to these volunteer organizations. I avoid them, but if they catch me, and say, "excuse me, sir. Do you have two minutes to spare to talk to me?" I always say yes. And then I'll probably go through the prepratory stage, with no intention of following up. So I still burn them, but I don't have to do it to their face. Yes, I know that's worse...

2 comments:

  1. It's not necessarily worse. When someone actively approaches you and puts you in a position where you either do what they want or do something impolite, it's not your fault. Sure, there's a point past which the onus is on you to behave, but in general, they've already committed a breach of etiquette (they should be asking if you have a couple of minutes to spare to talk about their cause, not just to talk), so you shouldn't feel as though not going along with it is your fault.

    It's not quite the same thing, but I have no problems turning away door-to-door solicitors for similar reasons. I didn't ask for them to come to my house; even if they work for a reasonable cause, I don't make spur-of-the-moment donations. I'll do research on my own time and make a decision. Interrupting my day or my evening is not going to make me sympathetic to their cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know. There are so many organizations, you'd sink yourself if you donated to every worthy cause. It sounds bad, but when it comes down to it, it's probably better to donate to a cause you're personally invested in, in some way. And that comes through research and experience. Donating because some smooth-talking salesperson ambushed you is not necessarily something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete