Thursday, October 28, 2010

Convenience Store, Free Suit

So the other day, I went into a convenience store to buy my Mom cigarettes. The clerk asks me for ID. I start to take it out, but I'm intercepted by another person who runs the store. It went like this:

Man: I believe him! That beard is big! I believe in that beard! Put that ID away!

I start to take it back, but then...

Woman: Oh no! When I'm at the counter, I am in charge! Take it back out!

Man: Sir, if you are worrying that you are looking young, do not worry!

I hand over my ID. The woman looks at it.

Woman: 1989. Well, he is not that old.

Man: He is 21.

Woman: Yeah, but it's not unreasonable that I asked.

Man: He looks older than 19!!!!

The man takes out a pack of cigarettes, walks around the counter, and hands them to me personally.

Man: Sir, I am sorry that you had to put up with this SHIT from my wife!

Wow, that was dramatic! An interesting side-note is, this is only the second time I've purchased cigarettes in my life, and both times happened in the span of one week. Both times, I was purchasing for someone else.I've never even tried smoking.

What I'm taking from this is, I need to trim my beard again. When it starts to incite random, fanatical respect, that means it doesn't look as sophisticated.

Yikes! I forgot to say that, when talking to my grandfather about beard growth over Thanksgiving, he said it took awhile to grow one, and that, if he shaved, it would probably take him a couple weeks to grow a full one.

What! It took me seven weeks before I considered what I had to be a full beard! And I won a beard-growing competition and was considered to have the fastest facial hair in my Katimavik cluster!

And I know a guy in his sixties who has a beard that I go to Karate with. He shaved his beard once and had it grown back the next week! Because of him, I had a total misconception of how fast facial hair grows!

Maybe it's a gene that's weakening by generation. Another theory I've heard is that, as you get older, your facial hair speeds up. Another is that your facial hair tends to grow to the length it's used to. That would explain how I can have a 5:00 shadow, and speed to my three-day growth, then not seem to grow for six weeks, then hit a facial hair "breakthrough" and blast out to full beard, and defeat my competitor. He, who used to have a beard, grew consistently throughout the competition. I wonder if I shaved, if my body would try to revert to what it now considers it's norm.

Anyway, yesterday, I saw the OW job consultant. He doesn't know why I didn't get a job-searching sheet, and he gave me one. But it's only good for one month, and my employment counselor has scheduled to see me in three months. It didn't feel like part two of a normal process, like I thought it might, and he wasn't the guy I'd seen before, like I thought he'd be.

I got a free suit! I was at my youth employment centre, and they all randomly were like, "Hey, do you want a free suit?" It's a full suit, 100% pure virgin wool, from Moores. Apparently they got a bunch of suits donated.

1 comment:

  1. The speed at which my facial hair grows has increased with time ... when I was a teenager, if I remember correctly, one day's growth was barely noticeable. Now, I look a bit scruffy in a day, and in three days, I either need to shave or stay inside. I'm assuming it will continue to speed up as I get older.

    But there are limits, too. I've never been able to grow a mustache.

    I think we are supposed to have two types of hair-growing cells: those that produce hair to a certain length (like on your arms and legs) and those that keep producing hair (like on your head). I don't know exactly what the ones on your face are, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were fixed-growth cells.

    ReplyDelete