Friday, October 8, 2010

Thanksgiving

Hi everyone. I don't have long to post.

Yesterday I started my long list of reviews. Turns out, even if I try to be quick, I won't be able to go very fast with it. When you have 42 reviews to do, if you spend only one minute on each, that's 42 minutes. And it generally takes me well over a minute to do a review.

My grandparents have come over to visit from up North for Thanksgiving. They brought up a free-range turkey and a bunch of other stuff. My aunt and cousin are also coming tomorrow.

In case you're wondering from my mention of turkey above, I don't think I can rightfully call myself a vegetarian anymore. I spent the final two months as a vegetarian. Me and the guy I was doing the beard competition with decided to do a vegetarian competition and we talked a bunch of other people into it.

I already posted on my other blog how difficult it is to be a vegetarian. Unless you get another person to do it with you, you feel completely alienated. Also, I'm not totally on-board with the ethics of vegetarianism.

I think that, to respect nature, which is what my main rationale behind changing into a vegetarian, you must respect the food chain, and I believe the human being is naturally omnivorous. On the more shallow side, foods like soy and tofu mess with your hormones, and give you more estrogen. 65% of vegetarians are female. If a woman is vegetarian and has a child, she's like, 20% more likely to have a female child. All these things indicate vegetarianism is un-macho.

On an even shallower side, I love meat, and people kept forgetting I was a vegetarian constantly, so I don't think it suited me.

As for pro-vegi points, I think factory farming is one of, if not the most, unethical practices mankind is currently guilty of. A guy named Jeremy Bentham said the quote,
"The question is not, Can they reason?, nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?" when talking about animal cruelty. He theorized that in the future we would create rights to stop cruelty to women, people of other races, homosexuals, and animals. He was very ahead of his time, and we've basically risen to his requirements, in the order he said we would. The only thing we haven't really crossed a milestone for is animal cruelty. I think factory farming satisfies a natural instinct through unnatural means. And I think the methods are more unnatural, then the product is natural. I'm not anti-killing, I'm anti-torture. Plus, being a vegetarian is like being in a club. Sometimes I'd find myself coincidentally conversing only with vegetarians, and you'd keep in contact with your fellow vegis, always know what number you were, and what was happening with each and every one of them.

When I came back, I had no obligation to stay vegi, and I stopped calling myself vegetarian, but I gravitated away from meat. I lasted a little while selecting only vegetarian stuff and removing meat if I had to, but without confident resolve, you slip. I've been gravitating a little bit further away from meat than I used to, but that's the best I can say.

I have nothing against free-range stuff. Tomorrow I'm going to chow down. If it were up to me, I'd be an "ethical meat eater" or a "flexitarian".

No comments:

Post a Comment