Sunday, May 15, 2011

Grandparents Visiting

My grandparents were visiting me this past week. I know I didn't update during that time... I guess it's a little uninspiring to write when you know half of your audience (my grandma) is getting the live-action version. Not that the other half (my uncle) missed out on much. I kind of flubbed it. I was silent like a stone through most of the trip.

I guess it's hard to know what to talk about when you've already blogged all your good stories and opinions. Where do you catch up with from there? All I had were my underground stories. And even then... You know... Even if you've got a good, open relationship with your very realistic grandparents, if you haven't had a good heart-to-heart with them since what feels like a different life stage, you don't want to be leaping whole-heartedly into stuff like that in such a short span of time.

This feels weird. It's like I'm speaking directly to my grandmother through a third-person perspective.

Well, anyway, since you're not getting any backroom stories, I'll move on...

Yo... If I take that Personal Support Worker course once I get back, I'm going to be the only heterosexual male in class. I have no delusions about this. Oh well. If I get flak, I'll just tell them it's "Where all the chicks are" and they will have to immediately respect me. That's the loophole response you give anyone for pursuing an interest that falls outside your gender stereotype. Well, if you're a coward, that is.

Before, when I mentioned the course, I said it was a "degree" course. I meant "diploma". I know that in the States, there's no division between College and University, so I don't know if there's a division between degrees and diplomas. I'll explain anyway, although I'm not really an expert on the subject.

Colleges are easier to get into, easier to complete, often take a shorter time to graduate from, and are cheaper to attend. You generally get diplomas for graduating college, although there are a few exceptions. Universities are, conversely, more difficult and more expensive, and you get degrees there.

But I always confuse the words "diploma" and "degree". I think it's because you get a diploma for graduating high school. High school takes at least four years to complete and most post-secondary degree programs take four years or more. So I tend to think, to get another diploma, it would take the same amount of time as it took to get my last diploma.

Also, "diploma" is made of hard, strong sounds. Dip-Low-Ma. Degree floats softly and easily off your tongue... degree. You expect the stronger-sounding word to go with the harder-to-obtain credential.

1 comment:

  1. I've had a similar feeling before ... when I chat with someone and then we're hanging out later that day. What do we talk about? I mean, we just talked about what we would have said ... and nothing really happened in the hour or two since we talked ...

    I think down here, after high school, we use diploma to refer to the piece of paper on which your degree is listed. You get degrees at pretty much all colleges and universities, even places that offer two-year degrees (associate's degrees) rather than four-year degrees (bachelor's degrees).

    There are also places that offer certificates for a subset of classes; you could continue and finish a degree, or just get the certificate. That seems to be more common in graduate school; I don't know if they do it at the college/university level as well.

    ReplyDelete