Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nikken PiMag

I got the remainder of the gear I'll need for CWY. I didn't have to get a lot. Just a couple pairs of pants, a canteen, and a sleeping bag. I hit up Value Village. Interestingly, the most expensive item by far was the pants. They went $10.00 apiece. The sleeping bag was $4.00, and I got two reusable water bottles, both priced at $2.00.

I got the more expensive sleeping bag, too. The other one was $3.00. And the water bottles were a bang for their buck, as they are... Nikken PiMag Ionic Filtration Water Bottles.

According to the bottle, which has both that full title and trivia printed directly on it, these bottles are proven technology used by international relief agencies, military units, and organized expeditions.

It eliminates or reduces up to 99.8% of the following:
-Unpleasant taste and odors, sediment and chlorine
-Toxic chemicals: trihalomethanes, PCB, TCE, detergents, pesticides (DDT), MtBE
-Harmful microscopic pathogens: cryptospordium, giardia
-Heavy metals: aluminum, asbestos, cadmiuym, chromium, copper, lead, mercury
-Radon-222

Then it goes on to say how it should be maintained and who it's been certified by.

It even has a manual that came along with it. In that, it details who it's targeted at, and why these people benefit, and it even gives a guide on how to demonstrate the effectivity of the bottle in front of a crowd as if it is a magic trick.

I looked it up online and someone sold one on eBay, the final bid being at $30.

I only took that bottle because it was the most practical one there. I didn't even realize what it was until I noticed the manual inside. Looks like they were being sold new, too.

Of course, if I have dangerous water, I'm not going to trust the Nikken PiMag alone to protect me... I mean, in all honesty, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. If I accidentally drink poison and it protects me, that's great, but I'm not going to rely too heavily on it.

I got into a conversation with the clerk when I was buying it, even. Good thing I'd just finished reading the manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment