Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Beardless Lifestyle

Being beardless isn't as dramatically different as I thought it would be. It was neat to feel the wind on my face for the first time in five years, and for awhile things did seem a little chilly, but it was surprising how quickly I forgot that I even looked different.  People are usually taken aback at first, but get used to it real quick. The first person I ran into worked in a customer service position, and she didn't realize who I was to the point that she tried to serve me as a customer until I opened my mouth. She heard my voice and instantly realized her mistake. Second person I ran into just stopped and chatted with me and he didn't even mention that I shaved. Thought that was odd until I realized he takes his beard on and off, and that to someone who goes both sides regularly, the extremity of the change does not faze him anymore.

When I had the handlebar-muttonchop combination, most people didn't even mention it. I wasn't sure if they just couldn't differentiate between beard styles, or if they thought it looked bad and didn't want to tell me. Most people who expected the funky beard said it didn't look that different, but were shocked by the total clean shave.

I think I still identify as a bearded man. I see someone with a beard and I get beard envy. I shaved once more last Sunday to shock the WALES crew. I'm trying to grow it out but I have some job interviews coming up and I don't want to go in with a half beard. So I'll probably shave a couple more times next week.

I can see how people get into this negative cycle of shaving. To grow a beard you need like, two months where you don't have to look presentable.

Me and my fellow placement student had our closing celebration at WALES. I turned in my Respect vest. Heart-wrenching times.

No comments:

Post a Comment