Saturday, April 25, 2015

Roommates Moved Out

Two of my roommates moved out today. That means there's only four of us left in the house. Two of the people remaining are the same ones that lived with me last summer. Us three are the only  ones using our lease for the entirety of its duration. The three of us have seen a summer roommate move out in September, then four people moved in, one person moved out at the end of the semester. Then two more people moved in. Then one of the people who'd moved in for the semester moved out, and then another left to do co-op. Since last summer, I've had nine roommates, and in the past twelve months, I've had fifteen. Including my stint in the Residence, my college experience has had me share a home with sixteen people.

Since my roommates moved out today, I can move the panini press and beer machine out of my room. Those were left by last year's roommates, and while no one tried to lay claim to them, I can understand that people may become a little grabby when they're moving away and won't have to face the consequences of their actions. So I put them behind lock and key. Hey, these things were left by MY former roommates. Nobody else in the house lived with them. I'm more entitled to them than anyone.

The panini press is real nice. It's like, industrial sized. You could grill steak on this thing. When we hosted the silent auction for our fundraiser event, I didn't offer anything because I didn't think anything I owned had significant value. But I forgot this press. Someone estimated it at a few hundred dollars. For some reason, neither I nor any of my roommates put it to use.

The beer machine has been put to use by both generations of roommates. The flavour was a little strange for last year's batch, but it was consumable. This year, someone took a sip and threw up. I blame it on the fact that they left it in the baking sun. I went to take it and hide it, and realized that it was still full of beer. It feels so wrong to throw out nearly ten litres of beer, but when it's been left in the sun for half a year and has a history of making people vomit, it's hard to condone preserving it.

Where can you empty almost ten litres of beer? My first instinct was to pour it on the lawn, near where it was set, but I quickly felt that this would be really bad for the lawn. I thought of emptying it in the shower, but I share the shower with others and I don't know if it would be responsible of me to make it beer-scented.  Right now I'm thinking of flushing it. I mean, lots of foul-smelling stuff flows through that particular waste disposal unit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment