Sunday, April 19, 2015

Forest Adventures

The other day me and a few friends went on a hike in the woods. We ran across a snake. Then we saw another, then another. They were black and yellow, flicking their tongues out, slithering nearer each other. I deduced that they were finding each other. Their paths crossed and they slithered over top of one another, entwining their tails. They crept closer to us... We noticed one coming in from behind, as if they had been drawing our attention to them while their accomplice crept up on us... and that one wasn't alone either.

My friends were quite scared. I acted the tough guy but they zeroed in on me specifically and I cowered when they got within lunging reach. They looked small and harmless, but such a gathering of creatures so fearless in front of those so much larger than them just gave an eery vibe. I suggested that they might be gathering to mate, which I know that gartersnakes (quite harmless) do. I knew that snakes catch scent with their tongues, so as they flicked them, they were detecting each other and drawing nearer. I wasn't sure why theirr gathering spot had to be exactly where we were standing, however.

Naturally, we ran in fear and continued our journey.

A towtruck came down the path. None of us had considered the path passable by vehicle, and there was a great hill that was difficult to climb by foot in the direction it was going. It stopped before the hill, went into reverse, and continued to back down the trail, albeit in a different direction than we had come from.

Since three of the four of us were social service workers (and, as of that specific day, not merely social service worker students) we worried that he might be on his way to attempt suicide. Ready to demonstrate our newfound sense of responsibility, we struck after him through the wilderness. After some time, we came across his truck. The resolution of my friends wavered, and we wondered what nefarious deed he might be committing out in this private place, and what dangers he might present.

Having failed to demonstrate my promised unwavering courage in front of the snakes, I decided that this man was my opportunity for redemption. Alone I moved forward. I passed his truck and stood next to him.

I didn't want to come off too strong, so I decided to make a little small-talk before getting into what I was really after. I said "Do you know what's down this path?"

He described a delightful walking trail that went past an old mill and led to Conestoga College. I made an internal note to try this path in the future.

I  asked him what he was up to. He said he was collecting firewood, which seemed quite believable ass he was collecting pieces of wood that had been heaped in a pile to the back of his truck. I told him that I would tell my friends and left before he could question the statement.

When I returned to my friends I was HAILED for my courage! I told them that he was collecting firewood!

On our way back, we ran across one more snake. It's head was up, poised as if to strike. We stared at it for a good ten minutes before leaving, admitting that the snake was stronger than us.

It was good to go for a romp in the woods! I love all the unpredictability of nature! Reminded me of when I was twelve and thirteen, when I would go walking in the woods with my friends after school.

No comments:

Post a Comment