Friday, April 24, 2015

Women's Crisis Services on the Respect Campaign

One of our assignments for school was to do a resource binder, compiling all the social service resources. While I was working on it, I stumbled on a blog post on the Women's Crisis Services web page. Here it is:

http://www.wcswr.org/respect-week-reflections-caring-students-make-all-the-difference/

That's the Respect Campaign! The Respect Campaign while I was helping run it! It's a post on the Respect Week Clothesline Project! There's a shout-out to the Extend-a-Family I Choose Dign!ty Day as well! Oooohhhh yeah! I'm a part of a wave of change!

Last year on this day, the temp agency I was with called me and asked me if I could work the following Monday, all nonchalant as if I had been working for them the day before. I felt real good because I hadn't needed to look for work, the work had looked for me. I supposed that they knew when college let out, and knew they could call the community college students that would be looking for work.

I kind of expected them to call again this year. In which case, I would be a little bit less flattered as I am currently flexing my new status as a Social Service Worker and would be required to decide if my pride was such that I would not do work outside my field. However,  they did not call and I realize that this is likely because I changed my phone number. If I want to get some quick work in before Summer Program, I'd have to take the extra step of calling them, and that extra step might just be the deal breaker. Nothing against industrial work, but... I think I might use this time simply to focus on future endeavors.

I need a new spring jacket. That's one thing I often forget when I go to a job interview. I've got a shirt, pants, shoes etc prepared for interview day, but I tend to forget to think of my jacket as a display item and not just something to regulate my temperature. I went into my Summer Program interview wearing a jacket that was missing the little metal tab on the zipper, and which I'd replaced with a safety pin. I remember leaving this jacket at the Donkey Sanctuary in Ways2Work. It's an old jacket, yo.

Also when I went into the Summer Program interview, I was becoming reacquainted with someone I used to work with, who would be a part of the interview process. Of note was the fact that he had grown a beard, whereas I had none. We had swapped facial hair styles since last we'd seen each other. I kind of regretted shaving the day previous, since I had felt that I looked unkempt with heavy stubble. Even though my friend had a distinguished beard, I know that bearded men are more tolerant of the awkward "half-grown" stage of beard development, having had to go through it themselves and I might have trusted his acceptance of my own stubbled face.  I'll have to shave again next Tuesday for another job interview.

I forgot to mention that when I was at the CoinStar machine cashing in my change jar, a fight almost broke out at one of the cash registers (this was at a Food Basics grocery store). I guess I forgot to mention it because this is kind of a dialed-down version of the almost-fight that I interceded in on the bus. This time, I wasn't as near by, I didn't jump in between them, and no one threw a punch. One guy stormed up to another guy and accused him of having bumped his shopping cart into his wife twice. The accused said he had not done anything on purpose. The accuser menaced him never to do such a thing again and implied that he would do something awful to him if he did. When I was putting in my CoinStar tab, the cashier was laughing about it and asked me if I'd seen. I said that I had, and that I had honestly been taken aback, as I had never seen such an altercation in a grocery store. She vaguely said that it happens once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment