Sunday, May 24, 2015

Crow Hop

So I noticed a pattern with the code that my computer searches repeatedly when I try to type things. It's searching for each of the letters that don't work on it's keypad. It's searching for its lost functionality. To avoid it doing the search I just use a detachable keyboard.

And you know how I said my phone deleted half my contacts? ...They came back. Along with a few extra, like "Customer Care" and "US Customer Care". I can't imagine having one specifically for US customers will be of much use to me, since I'm not a US citizen.

I just got back my academic achievement report. I'm officially an SSW grad now. Not only that, but apparently I was on the honour list for HSF, and graduated "with distinction" from SSW. Now I can apply at the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers, which is a regulatory body (not an educational institute) that will legally allow me to put letters behind my name. I will become "Gryphon Sibbald, SSW, RSSW".

Do you know what's kind of tough? The Respect Campaign became an academically acknowledged achievement during the year that I worked for it, but even though I'd volunteered for two years and worked in it for one, because in the year it was recognized I was an employee rather than a volunteer, it isn't recognized on my transcript.

Although a Connect Workshop I did two years ago got put on there.

When I was with Healing of the Seven Generations, I had the opportunity to listen to the work of the Chippewa Travellers, live, for the mini powwow that they would host daily for the elementary school children.

Here they are on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-TBxB1w20

They had a song they called the Crow Hop, which came from Blackfoot Nation and had dancers emulate the movement of a crow hopping. It had a really strong and consistent beat with each drummer striking at once. A dancer would come up and every time their foot fell, the drum would beat, giving the impression that the thunderous sound came from the dancers footsteps. It was especially impressive with a female dancer, who would step delicately with the crashing sound of the drum.

After the dancer's demonstration, they would invite the children to join in. At that point, the children would be really amped up, wanting to feel the power of their own footfalls booming like thunder. Everytime, the children would get way too close to the drummers, though, and the workers would have to stand in a circle around the drummers with their arms stretched out, to build space between drummers and children.

I was standing between drummer and child one time, and with my arms outstetched to maximize my range, I felt like a scarecrow. Then I realized that, with me there warding off the children, and the children emulating crows, I really was playing the roll of a scarecrow. Whoa.

So what would that make the drummers? A garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment