Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Healing Circles

I'm helping out with a two-week project for Healing of the Seven Generations, an aboriginal services agency. A friend of mine works there and helped me get in on the opportunity. For two weeks, they are hosting healing circles at a local museum. Elementary schools have classes come in for field trips and the classes rotate around to different stations to learn more about First Nations, Metis, and Inuit people. I'm specifically stationed at the Ojibwa, Chippewa, or Anishnabeg point. After a presentation on the Seven Grandfather teachings, the clan system, and a lesson on the Ojibwa language, we do a friendship bracelet activity, which is where I come in. I'm one of the people teaching the children how to do friendship bracelets, just learned how to do them myself. Somebody actually made me a friendship bracelet awhile back, and so now I know a bit more about them. Been doing this for two days.

We have daily miniature powwows, with a drum circle and dances separated in Grass, Women's Traditional, and Women's Fancy. Tomorrow I'll supposedly be building a teepee. Haven't done that since Chisasibi. It's all pretty cool!

One of my old roommates moved back in. He moved out after first semester of last year so it's really a blast to the past to have him back in the house. He's a Canadian boy, so I'm not in such a stark minority anymore. This means we're back up to six people in the house again. Almost full capacity.

Even though I finished my classes, my student card is still good until September, so I managed to get afinal discounted four month bus pass from the college. Funny to still be using college resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment