Monday, September 13, 2010

Canada World Youth

So, there's this program called Canada World Youth. It's Katimavik's sister organization. It's basically the same, but instead of everything being inside Canada, you do one rotation in Canada, and one rotation in a third world country, you're not in a group, but instead travel with only one other person, who is a native of the other country, and instead of a Project Leader, you have billet families. It's still for a six month period, your work for not-for-profit organizations, and you do volunteer activities and workshops evenings and weekends.

I signed up for a program starting in nine months as a back-up plan in case I didn't have anything solid by then. Well, turns out, there have been a large number of drop-outs for the programs taking off last month and this month. That means, they're looking for replacements from applicants in my cluster. They'll pull in replacements anytime up to six weeks after the program's start. There's a fee that you're supposed to pay through fundraising activities, but the requirements for replacements are cut. I didn't want to lose my opportunity, so I said yes, put me on a back-up list. I had my medical file transferred from Katimavik, since they both work out of the same office, and there was only one last piece to complete it. Since I'd been speaking to them consistently, I'd noticed that they always responded to me within the day, that the person in charge of dealing with applicants is the same person who dealt with my Katimavik application, and that, because I had completed Katimavik, and was ready to jump into another program like this so quickly, I felt my chances of getting in this round were very good. This Wednesday was my doctor's appointment, where I'd get the last necessary form.

I told my family and was met with negative reception. See, my mom's really sick from this Hep C treatment, and my brother's not in a position to support the household. Since I came back, there was an almost-eviction-level incident that I managed to steer away from happening.

Before, when people emphasized my importance in this family, I didn't think there was any legitimacy behind it, but now I'm worried that there is. I don't want to think I'm the type of person to ditch someone in their time of need... and there's a lot of good stuff going on over here that could really get screwed up for them if things went wrong at this stage...

...And a friend of mine says that they're hiring full-time at his workplace, that they're seriously understaffed, that he's a group leader, and will put in a good word for me... Says I'll probably get the job... One catch... Gotta shave the beard.

Man... Full-time employment. I have to say... coming back from Katimavik, I've been offered short-term work at two places and now I'm being recommended by a higher-up for full-time employment, and I haven't even really been looking. World of difference from before.

But still... Being asked to deny the opportunity of going on another adventure, and being told to shave my beard... It feels like I'm being asked for a lot.

I've been messaged by the airline, saying they have received my request and want a seven-day processing period. That's okay.

I have been messaged by Katimavik, saying that I can order a "Got A Life" T-shirt fro free from their website, since I completed the program (their slogan is "Get A Life").

2 comments:

  1. Well, you sure have things happening! Do you have to choose between working and helping the family, or going to CWY? Is there an age limit for CWY? If not, and if you do get a job, I'm sure they would understand your postponing entry into the program while you help out in a family crisis ... If your comment about preventing a near-eviction situation means you've put your Katimavik money toward rent, I'm very sorry it came to that! Although I'm sure you feel the Katimavik experience was priceless even without cash at the end.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. The age cap for CWY is 25, so I have time.

    ReplyDelete