Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hair

So it looks like when I said, "Everything's still within walking distance, but you feel like an idiot walking for longer than doing what you're walking to do", I was pretty apt. If I walk to Karate, it takes me a full hour. Going there and back totals two hours I'm not going to spend two hours walking for an hour and a half lesson!

It looks like I'll have to deal with the bus system. I don't know why, but I hate using buses. Back in high school, I'd do a 3 K walk to and from school to avoid using a bus. In Katimavik, I once jogged 9 K,and had to suit up with mapping, communication, and bear-repellent gear, just to avoid having to wait in line in a crowded car coming back from Fort George (me and the pother guy that did this still got back before the van).

Like, even now,I have to go to my doctor's, which is five minutes walk from Karate. Gotta make it by ten, and my thoughts are, "If I leave at 8:30, I'll get there by 9:30".

NO! Take a bus!

I don't know if I should trim my beard, or if I should grow it out to Viking/pirate/wizard/dwarf length. See, the main philosophy behind the beard is that, in the face, women look at three things: strong nose, eyebrows, and jawline. The aspect of jawline is based on a throwback instinct to when our primitive ancestors would use their teeth as weapons. The beard gives the appearance of an enhanced jawline. But if I grow out my beard any longer, I think it will lose the appearance of a jawline. My plan was that, if I got into CWY real quick, I'd grow my beard for an entire year, but my beard has already lost some of it's purity. I trimmed the moustache a little, just so it doesn't curl into my mouth, and there was a section of skin under my eyes where hair was growing, but it wasn't thick enough to be beard, so it was just this awkward middle ground between face and beard, so I shaved it. Nobody can tell, but everytime I eat something and I don't have to wipe crumbs from my moustache, I'm reminded of my shame.

Already, I think my beard is growing more vertically than horizontally. That means it's getting longer, not just bushier. It's reaching a new level of beard, and I need to decide what to do with it.

Here's pictures of my beard: http://gryphonsgallery.blogspot.com/

I think the hair on my scalp is thinning. I thought that before going to Katimavik, but everyone thought I was crazy. Now a few people have offered their opinion that it is,not even provoked! And somebody who before said I wasn't, changed her opinion! ARG!

I was right to have grown my hair out in high school. It would be my only opportunity.

I think it's growing slower, too. In Katimavik, I got it cut only once, two months in, and you can see basically it's extent in those photos. That's four months of hair growth, for both beard and scalp, and my scalp had a substantial head-start. My brother had sort of longish hair when I went to Katimavik, and coming back, he's got it shoulder-length. So he had a bit of a head-start, and then I got mine cut two months in, but even without these handicaps, I doubt I could have made it to shoulder-length by the end of Katimavik.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You look like a mountain man, or bush worker ... Handsome beard!

    ReplyDelete