Friday, September 10, 2010

Toronto, New House

Alright, so I just updated the blog, but I logged out of my email account, and I forgot that logging in/out of my email logs me in/out of my blog, and vice-versa. Now, that wouldn't matter so much, because I can always copy/paste my existing post into a new post after logging in, but I learned about my mistake by trying to post and having it bring me to an error screen. Now, this doesn't always work if you're logged out of a site and hit "back", but I tried, and it brought me to my original message. I'm on top of the world here, because now I can't fail to preserve my message... I just have to log in, start a new post, and copy my message from this screen. I log in... and it changes my page with my message to a "successfully logged in" page. So I try to go back, but it doesn't let me!

I think I'd be able to let it go more easily, if I hadn't been offered hope and had it snatched away repeatedly, and if I didn't have to deal with the irony that the failure screen was more forgiving than the success one, and that I lost through success. It's like being told "Congratulations, you're fired! :D"

At least there wasn't a ton... I wrote down all my newest, notable experiences, and of all of them, for various reasons, only two are publishable...

First thing to note is that I'm back from Toronto. I was there an extra day because my work asked me back. They originally said they had four or five hours, and because I was starting early, that would mean I was done noon. But it was a specific task they wanted me to complete, and it seemed to me that it was more like a full two days of work! I don't think I could have just been slow, or else I would have fallen behind my coworker, and I wouldn't have been asked back.

My job was to put labels on lids. Guess for which flavour? Corn & Cheese. I bet you've never had Corn & Cheese ice cream before. They also have Black Sesame ice cream and Lobster ice cream.

All the workers there remember me, but none of them mentioned my beard! They were all super-casual, too, like I was a regular worker and they weren't surprised to see me. Maybe they were tipped off that I was coming, didn't actually remember me,and therefor, didn't realize they were supposed to realize my beard was new?!

Second point is, did you guys know I'm living in a new place? Ever since I came back, I'm living in this regular house that's sectioned off for different families. It's like being in a Katima-house, where certain groups are allowed to call "dibs" on certain sections. I actually like the community aspect. Coming out of Katimavik, I don't think I have a sense of personal space, and too much space makes me feel agoraphobic. It actually feels like we have neighbors. In a regular apartment, I've found that you don't really have neighbors... Just people you live next to.

What I don't like is location. This is a classier neighborhood, but back at the old place, it felt like everything was within walking distance. Everything kind of is here, too, but not so much that you don't feel like a fool for walking a longer amount of time than doing whatever you were doing that required you to walk there.

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of places are set up like that, with the idea that you wouldn't possibly get there doing anything other than driving or perhaps taking the bus/train/whatever. So if you don't drive, it's just something you get accustomed to feeling.

    Indianapolis is still mostly a driving city. There are no regular trains (there's a single train that runs during the state fair, but that's it, no subway or EL or anything), few taxis, few buses ... and even though we have the Monon Trail, one of the more heavily-traveled trails in the US, much of Indy isn't suitable for bicycling. Few stores other than those directly off the Monon have bike racks or even things you can use to improvise.

    I just try not to worry about it. Hey, you can get there on a bike or on foot, why not do it? But that might be easier for me to say ... at my age people are less likely to judge me in the first place. I still remember the time when I was only a few years out of college; a friend of mine and I walked into a store to buy a computer (I'd inherited some money and could afford a good one), but because of the way we were dressed, no one waited on us. After 15 minutes, we left, I found a place online that sold computers (this was more than 15 years ago, so it was unusual back then), and never went back to that store.

    That is a good comment about neighbors. I think at my house, I have people I live next to. (Um, people to whom I live next? That sounds weird. People in adjacent houses?) I'm not outside that often, and my neighbors and I don't have a lot in common ... basically because I don't have kids. If you have kids, you're outside all the time. I don't dislike any of my neighbors, I just don't know them that well. They're people who live near me.

    ReplyDelete