Friday, March 2, 2012

Continuing the Application

Okay, so I got the college application form working. Turns out, sometimes when you press "Save" it decides to save your info, and sometimes it decides to delete it. It wasn't hiding what I'd put in it before, it never processed it. So I just saved the info in a word processor, and kept plugging it into this form until it decided to take it.

I wound up dividing Katimavik and CWY into their separate stations, because there was no way to put multiple locations. I'm lucky that none of the smaller communities I've worked in took place in Ontario. If you select another country or province, they allow you to write down the name of a community, but if it's in Ontario, you have to select from a drop-down menu. There's no way that Chisasibi or Karadie would have made it onto a list like that. Probably even La Pocatiere is too small.

Check how I buffed out my work station descriptions. Each one required a description of up to 500 characters.

Ways2Work Participant

Successfully completed the Ways2Work program, a self-development and pre-employment program held at 2ndchance employment counseling. Acquired skills and information on values and self-esteem, balancing life, survivability, job retention and employer expectations. Received certification in Smart Serve, First Aid, Safe Food Handling and WHMIS.

Support Worker (Katimavik)

Acted as full-time volunteer for Katimavik, the youth travel-volunteer program. Was stationed at Community Connections, a non-profit organization which provides a range of employment, residential, and support services to adult persons with intellectual disabilities. Attended additional workshops and volunteer events on evenings and weekends.

General Labourer (Katimavik)

Acted as full-time volunteer for the Katimavik program. Was stationed at the Regional Food Distribution Association, an organization dedicated to the distribution of food to a wide variety of charities. Checked for due dates and damages, transported, stocked and inventoried food donations. Aided with the distribution of food donations. Attended additional workshops and volunteer events on evenings and weekends.

Katimavik Volunteer

Acted as full-time volunteer for the Katimavik program. Participated in various volunteer events in a traditional First Nations community, with the inclusion of several larger projects. These included assisting in the construction of traditional housing, preparing traditional meals, maintaining living facilities, enforcing regulations at ceremonies, and overseeing the well-being of local youth.

Horticulturalist (Canada World Youth)

Acted as full-time volunteer for the Canada World Youth program. Acted as horticulturalist under Pierre Saindon, working for the town of La Pocatiere. Took an active role in the development of a healthy environment by preparing soil, planting and maintaining flowers and trees and sorting and transporting equipment. Increased awareness on environmental concerns by hosting a tree-planting workshop. Attended weekly Educational Activity lessons and workshops.

Agriculturalist (Canada World Youth)

Acted as Canadian Ambassador for the Canada World Youth travel-volunteer program. Performed various tasks to increase quality of life for the residents of a subsistence community. These included constructing a garden for local women. Developing, dividing, and distributing potatoes for cultivation. Constructing stoves out of subsistence material to reduce fuel consumption. Preparing soil, planting seeds, tending trees, and assembling fences.

I was so tempted to put "Canadian Ambassador" as my title during my time in Mali. That's what they called us, and I like to call myself that when I tell people what I did, but it sounds so powerful that on a form like that, the person is probably going to be disappointed by whatever I follow that statement with. I still put it in my description, though.

I added images to my logbook instructional guide for Mali. I already posted it on this logbook, but if you're interested in eyeballing it, than here's the link again: http://logbook.cwy-jcm.com/maliquebec1/2012/01/01/karadje-info/

I'm pretty pleased with it. I didn't add enough images for it to be a significant instrument in evaluating my statements. I only added enough to give it a little visual appeal and to help stimulate the attention of the reader. All in all it seems like a pretty tidy little article. I wish I'd written something on Bamako and the bartering system. Maybe I'll add something to it.

I think I'll make another post, which will be devoted to images. I'll give captions for a variety of images, like I've done here, and I'll cover both Mali and La Pocatiere.

I just read my joke of a journal, which I was trying to keep during my Mali exchange. Basically everything in here is about what I've eaten, or what I've purchased and for what price, and my interactions with the local women. Is that all I cared about when I was overseas, money, food and women?

No comments:

Post a Comment