Sunday, March 18, 2012

Library Post, Charity People

Posting from the library. Don't know if I said it last time, but since I've gotten back, they've increased the amount of time per day each person is allowed to use their Internet. It used to be 45 minutes, and now it's an hour. That also means that people have to wait longer, but I think the reason they did it, is that now they have two more computers that give Internet access. I didn't realize it at first, because they still have the same number of computers, they just switched a couple from being catalogue computers into Internet computers. So the first couple times I came here, I just waited in line like a chump, while there were two computers free. I don't know if one of them is normally for Internet use, though. Somebody from Information just brought someone over here, telling him that that one does have Internet access, but they usually reserve it for people who need word processors. It's a little bit removed from the other Internet computers, too.

I wonder if these computers they've attached Internet use can still be used for catalogue purposes. Doesn't look like it. Kind of sad, if they're beginning to prioritize their free Internet over books. They also have a television facing the waiting area for Internet access now. It's set to the news, and is muted but has captions. Kind of a nice new feature. The library's getting pretty swag. Must be a really new feature. I don't remember seeing that the last time I used the library computer, and that was after I got back. Maybe I was just unobservant.

I always try to look like I'm primarily doing something kind of official business when I'm on the library computer. I know blogging isn't really official business, but it looks a grade better, than, say, Facebook. A lot of people will jump on and go to FB, but for me, I never feel comfortable looking like I'm doing something that is probably of less importance than what the person waiting wants to be doing. The atmosphere of the blog isn't so widely recognized, and doesn't hold as large a stigma as Facebook.

I also don't feel comfortable going on for just a short little bit. They've got quick access computers, that you can use for 15 minutes (unless they've increased those, too) and so, if I use a regular computer, I want to use it for over 15 minutes or else I feel like I've made a mistake. Part of the reason I'm writing this. I also don't like to spend less time on the computer, than I spent waiting for it.

Do you remember how I said that, before doing Canada World Youth, I loved telling those charity people that I couldn't subscribe to a monthly donation plan, because I was about to spend three months in a subsistence village in West Africa? Well, I can't use that excuse anymore, but I also don't find it so easy to ignore them. They'll be like, "Hey sir, what's up? Gotta minute to chat?" And I'll be all "Sorry, in a hurry" and they'll be all, "Won't take a minute of your time" and I'll be all, "Nah, I'm not gonna stop-- Oh, hey, you're that women's rights organization for third world communities? I just got back from Mali, West Africa, listed in the bottom ten countries for quality of life for women, and I was DATING a local woman there! Well, now, wasn't that something..."

And I get their hopes thrumbed up, and then I'm like "Sorry, I don't see your organization as making very practical steps. Have a nice day!"

Gotta stop doing that. I never see the same people more than once. Are they bringing in people from outside Guelph? Are they not reusing the same people? They're always in the same places. You'd think I'd see them repeat.

Now I'm going to have to dodge using the main route back home, to avoid the guy I jilted.

I'm still dominating in Scrabble for some reason. I have no idea why I've become such a monster at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment