Monday, May 28, 2012

Misconception Regarding Fire Time Length

Do you realize how long forest fires last?  I guess I was just naive, but the impression I'd had was that they flare up fast and get taken down in a matter of days.  I was astonished to hear that those fires I referenced a little while ago were still going.  I was like "Wow, it's been several days, and those fires are still going?"  My grandpa was like "It's been several weeks".

Mind blow!  I asked how long fires usually go for.  The answer was that it completely depends on the fires, but several days was batting around the minimum time restriction for something that could be called a full-fledge fire.

Anyway, yeah, those fires are still going on, and it's come to the point where we can smell them up from where we are.  We're still not in any kind of danger zone, and they've been able to small fires all the way from out here in the past.

I learned today that the program I'm going into this year has closed itself to applicants.  That means, it's an active enough program that it has filled it's seats.  That's somewhat exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment