Friday, May 18, 2012

Slow Connection

The Internet connection up here isn't quite as fast as I'm used to.  Before I came up, I hadn't realized that dial-up still existed.  Now I remember why I was so excited when we upgraded.

This blog loads fairly quickly, but for some reason, the "New Update" page doesn't, so updates from now on will be coming on a basis of prioritization.  That being, if I don't really have anything else to do online, I will update.  Exceptions may come if something quite extraordinary happens.

Gmail has accommodated me with it's  Basic HTML function, making it easier to process messages.  Facebook's been a pain, though.  For some reason, I can't play online Scrabble anymore.  Also, apparently there was an article on something my Katimavik group did with the Sioux Lookout group in Thunder Bay, almost two years ago.  Won't load, though.

I've been doing about two hours of driving every day.  Pretty solid.  I've been improving at a pace that I find satisfactory.  I've been doing mainly side roads with very little traffic.  I've been getting a lot of practice with hills and turns.  I've passed cars and I've been passed.  I've gone over bridges.  I went on a highway for the first time today.  Very little traffic, but still.  So far, I haven't caused anyone any trouble.  That G2 doesn't look so far out of reach anymore.

I'm hoping to see some wildlife while I'm up, since this is a good spot for it.

1 comment:

  1. Online games typically use a lot of bandwidth ... even if they don't seem to need it. Facebook is a problem, too, because pretty much all the games on Facebook aren't actually on Facebook servers, but on other servers, so every request has to go through Facebook to, say, Zynga's servers (if you're playing Farmville), then back through Facebook to your computer. It's transparent when sending simple text, or with a high-speed connection, but it doesn't "degrade" well (perform when conditions are poor).

    Things like Blogspot don't load well because Google likes to have scripts running at all times - again, no big deal on a faster connection, but if they go out and check other blogs you follow, or things like that, well ... it's like the difference between basic Gmail and normal Gmail. (Literally. Gmail does a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, too.)

    ReplyDelete