Sunday, January 12, 2014

First Week In

Work's been pretty good. Mostly getting questions about where to find people/places since it's the beginning of a semester and we're getting a lot of new students. I'm actually surprised at how many people start their school year in the second semester. I did at one time fill up all the meeting rooms and book one for later in the day, though, which is an info desk function that will become more popular around the time of midterms. I find that people ask me a lot of questions when I'm not on the job. I guess they see me working at the information desk and when they see me away from it they figure I'm still the guy with the answers. People ask any questions they can think of, and people generally think that I work directly for the school, instead of being a part-time employee and full-time student.

Classes are all good so far. I've only bought one textbook so far, and it's a workbook. There's been so much confusion about what we're supposed to buy that I've just postponed it. One of our teachers thought that we had used a textbook last semester which we hadn't, so it was labeled as "textbook retained from previous semester". Many of the workbooks were not available in the bookstore on the first day, and many of them still aren't. Many of them have only been made available in small numbers so only a few students have them. A student in second year told me I'd be spending almost $1000 on texts this semester but the price I'm seeing right now is far lower than that, so I don't know what to expect. I've also been told that we need to keep some of our textbooks, so I haven't sold any. I went to see what I could get for them, and the lowest offered price was $1. $1!!! I can't buy a coffee with that. No sale. The highest offer was $33 which is a bit more substantial but I paid over $100 for that text so I wasn't interested. And good thing too, because I learned the next day that we need it for one of our classes, though it hadn't been posted on our booklist. Anyway, I'm just waiting until the classes sort themselves out before making any major purchases. I'll buy all the workbooks, but I have to wait until the bookstore prints them.

A homosexual individual hit on me last Friday. He even wrote me a little love note with his contact information in case I changed my mind. It had hearts on it and everything. I don't think I'm going to change my mind, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment