Thursday, March 20, 2014

Seizure

WOW!!! It has been ten days! Surprising how time flies.

The other day, someone had a seizure in front of the info desk. This is the third time I've been around one. He was just around the corner, so I didn't actually see it happen. Someone ran up and told me to dial 911. I knew that the security office had medical professionals and could get there faster than 911, and that everyone else in the area was dialing it anyway, so I opted to call security. Because you don't do exactly as someone says, you're sure to get the stink-eye, and I wasn't going to take the time to explain to them why I glanced at my list of numbers instead of dialing her recommended number.

So I called security, got a dial tone, called 911 (people noticed me do the redial and I got more stink-eye) and 911 redirected to security. They asked me a bunch of random questions I couldn't see the necessity for.

"Do you know their name?"
"No"
"Do you have their medical history?"
"I don't even know his name."
"So it's a male?"
"I don't know, he's not in my line of vision."
"How long has he been like this?"
"I think this happened pretty much immediately."

Security was there and the guy was being treated in maybe under two minutes.

The first time I was around someone who seizured, she was in another room and we didn't know until after-the-fact. Later, I was in the centre of a crowd. Someone put her into the recovery position and then someone else phoned her medical contacts. I wasn't able to do anything. These events made me feel helpless, and I've lived with my inability to do anything twice already. A guilty part of my mind was waiting for the opportunity to do right in a situation like this, as a way of redeeming myself.

We have a "panic button" on our keychain. That was maybe the only opportunity I would ever have to use it, but I didn't. Instead I opted to call them manually. After I'd dialed 911 and hear dit ringing, did I think of the panic button.

When our medical staff was rushing over, I ran up to check the scene. From there, I warded off observers so that the effected individual and the medical staff would not be interrupted. You would not believe how many people tried to dodge around me for a closer glimpse, even though that would mean practically stepping over him.

Afterwards, everyone from Student Life was asking me if I needed anything, if I wanted the rest of the shift off, if I wanted to talk to one of them, if I wanted to see counseling. They wanted me to know that I had reacted perfectly, they thanked me for my leadership, they told me that security was impressed with how I dealt with everything.

I was like wow, I am not so delicate that I need support, and really, I didn't do anything that wouldn't be a natural reflex, so no need to thank me either.

Honestly, I keep reflecting on the experience, thinking about how I'd wanted redemption, how I'd been offered the opportunity, and how, even if I got the proper people where they need to be, was I quick enough to really call that redemption?

I got to go to my student placement. I tried to navigate the bus system. Google Maps failed me, so I wound up taking a cab when I showed up at a terminal that was only sort of close to where I wanted. I tipped the taxi driver too handsomely. I don't know why. I mean, he was cool and he got me where I needed to go quite quickly... But perhaps it was the desperation of the situation and the relief he brought led me to be that gracious.

Workplace was cool. I wound up getting there like half an hour early. I would have walked around the block and pretended like I'd just arrived about ten minutes before interview, but as soon as I got out of the cab, I heard.

"Oh, you must be Gryphon!" and from there I was invited in. I apologized for being so early, but they laughed it off, offered me coffee, and said it was cool that I could see how the day starts. The interview was pretty informal, then I got a tour of the place. Afterwards, they said I could stay and hang out for a while if I wanted. I did want that. Very nice atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment