Monday, March 10, 2014

Speaker Last Friday

Last Friday my group brought in five speakers. Me and one other girl were in charge of bringing in a speaker from Sunrise, a therapeutic organization for people with autism. We were supposed to go meet her, but she showed up at the beginning of the one previous. She appeared to be quite elderly... Like, my great grandmother level elderly, and she played the look up by wearing a shawl and the whole bit. She didn't speak much to us before presenting, and when she shuffled up to centre stage, I wondered what she was going to offer.

Wow. Such a powerful voice! She spoke with a clarity that rang through the class, she spoke passionately, she was hilarious, she was so forward-thinking and empathetic to modern youth, she was quick on the uptake and wove the previous speaker's words into her own speech.

And it's wasn't even like a "good for someone of her age" type of thing. I wish I was as good as her. No matter what age she was, she would have blown everyone out of the water. She had people laughing, people crying, had them on the edge of their seats, and by the end people were piling in on her to see if they could volunteer.

And I mean, she was talking about autism, something that a lot of people should have trouble relating. with. Really, a very, very powerful speaker.

I had my Info Desk reapplication interview today. I think it went fine. I knew both of the interviewers very well. They gave me 30 minutes but we were done in 15. Someone said "They were just going through a formality, confirming what they already know" which I hope is true. I didn't have any questions at the end. You're always supposed to have a question ready to show interest... But I mean, I work at the desk! If I had a question, I would just ask them.

Got My English Conversation Organizer interview tomorrow... And an Info Desk Staff Meeting.

I had a legit nightmare last night. I dreamt that I had bitten an electrical cable and my throat lit on fire. It started on the inside as a small burning and then burst into flames. I remember seeing the fire come out of my mouth and realizing what a bad situation I was in. My mother and brother were in the dream, and there was lots of shouting and confusion. I managed to get a glass of water and drank it, but while the fire died down a bit, it just kept coming back stronger and faster. I realized it was because it was a chemical fire. I remembered the impending sense of doom (I even recalled a time in Canada World Youth where I tried to put out a sparkler and it didn't work, which actually happened) and remembering how you can't put out a chemical fire by pouring water or snuffing it out.

Then I woke up, and when I woke, my throat still felt like it was burning. But it got less and less and eventually it stopped/ Yeesh! What a classical dream! Usually my bightmares are like, I have a test and my time is running out but the teacher keeps putting work on my table, or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, tried to post this comment via a couple of different profiles while using Firefox and it doesn't seem to have worked. Trying in Safari instead...

    That sounds like a great presentation!

    Did I tell you guys that Aidan was diagnosed with autism this past fall? "High-functioning" autism - basically what they would have called Asperger's before that diagnosis got folded into the general autism spectrum. He went through various assessments and things to try and sort out the problems he was having with school (especially since starting grade 1) and that was the eventual conclusion. He got bounced around between different programs for a bit, but is now in a special class for kids with autism and seems to be doing a lot better there, because he can get a lot more individual attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just seeing this now. Yes, I had heard that Aidan has been diagnosed with autism. I actually know a couple of people with Asperger's (I guess high-functioning autism, now). It's good you're getting him the attention he deserves.

      The speaker that came in that day was from a therapeutic group that taught children with autism to ride horses. I don't know if that's something available to you guys but she made it sound really beneficial.

      Delete