Saturday, January 24, 2015

Bri's Anniversary of Passing

Last Sunday I finally met my other new roommate. We had lived in the same house for two weeks, and even on the same floor, but we hadn't met each other. We rode on the bus together, side-by-side, all the way from one of the main terminals, then walked together back to the house without speaking a word to each other. It was only when he walked into the driveway with me that I was like "...Do you live here?"

Today I fired up the bundle buggy for the first time. I bought myself a little cart to do grocery shopping with, but I'd been too nervous to put it to use for a while. I remember my mother using a bundle buggy when I was young, and I didn't want to give off a "single mom" vibe in the grocery.

It was good, though. Very logical move for someone without a car. But I wound up spending over $100 on groceries. Usually I try not to break $50, which lasts me a week. But I was just able to carry so much, I couldn't stop. Such is the allure of the bundle buggy.

This past day was the anniversary of my friend Bri's passing. I got a bottle of wine for the celebration before the memorial. I wanted to get something a scratch above the value-brand wines I usually pick from. The wine lady asked me if I needed help. I declined, because I didn't want my ignorance of wine to be exploited. Then because I kept looking for awhile and she was watching me look, I didn't want to choose something typical of my socio-economic class after I had presented myself as being discerning in my wine choice. So I bought probably the swankiest wine I've ever purchased.

Made some taco dip for the potluck. When I was leaving the house, one of my roommates noted my choice of wine and taco dip for such a solemn occasion as being a bit unusual. Well, I'm not going to bring sad food to a potluck. I don't even know what sad food is.

Both the wine and taco dip were very well-received.

We floated lanterns into the sky in memory of Bri. My lantern was one of two that wouldn't fly. I tried to float it off a bridge but it fell onto the river beneath and rolled across the ice until it disappeared in the distance. The other one that failed to fly lit on fire and turned to ash on the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment