Thursday, January 15, 2015

Human Library Coming Up

Got to meet the new family I should be doing Direct Support for! Looks really promising!  I'm kind of a fool, though. Now I'll have two jobs while I'm still in school, and this is after I should have learned my lesson last semester when things got rough. But I figure networking is pretty important at this point, since graduation is on the horizon.

I decided not to make any drastic dietary changes based on that library cookbook with the ADD diet. Got a surprising amount of reception telling me to disregard that.

This past week has been the Get Involved Fair, run through the Respect Campaign, but I haven't been able to get involved with it at all because of my schedule.

We have the Human Library coming up, the Respect Campaign's most recognized event. It has people from different walks of life act as "Human Books" who get rented out for fifteen minutes at a time by students, and the students are allowed to ask any questions they want. For example, we've Human Books speak on their experience as being LGBTQ, being learning disabled, developmentally disabled, having eating disorders, addictions, having been a child soldier etc. Really interesting stuff. We've even had a few pseudo-celebrities come in for the event in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment