Sunday, February 13, 2011

Job Opportunities

So, I spoke to someone from the agency yesterday. Turns out, they're open Saturdays. I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere, but I couldn't find their hours, so I tried calling, and I got someone. I asked about the work they'd told me they might have, and it sounds like it's the same place that guy I spoke to the other day got put.

Well, it sounds pretty bad. Rotating continental shift. That's three days of work per week, but each day is twelve hours. Apparently it feels like you do nothing but work, constantly, for three days. As for the work itself, she asked me if I had experience in machine operating, and she asked me if I could lift 30 pounds consistently. Sounds exactly like my least favourite job at the last place.

You don't ask people if they have a good job. Everyone says they don't. You ask them:
-Are you alone?
-Do you have to stand up?
-Do you have to lift heavy things?
-Is it dirty?
-Is it loud?
-Are you looking at a clock?

If the answer is no to all of those, then your job still sucks, but it's comparatively really awesome. My main assignment at the last place was no for all of those except the clock.

But this job....
-It's machine operating, so very likely will be alone
-It's machine operating, so most likely
-30 pounds consistently for 12 hours, 3 days straight will probably build up
-Can't tell you whether or not it'll be dirty
-Machines are usually loud
-No idea about the clock

So there you go, there are only two points that have a legitimate shot of being decent. And rotating shifts will screw with your internal clock.

And on top of working me too hard, it also manages to work me too easy at the exact same time. I'll be working four hours less than a standard five day week, and there probably won't be overtime.

Mom's on Disability, right? The deal was they'd subtract $500 from her paycheque because of me working. Without warning, last month, they upped it to $900. Obviously, I'm contributing whatever they retract. At the same time, I'm trying to save $3000 for CWY, and I'm paying for Karate. I... actually am beginning to care about what's in my bank, and am gaining a motivation to work for money. Even if I'm just working to gain money so I can pay to work more.

I'm not allowed to have over $5000, or they cut Mom from Disability. What I need is... $4000, almost exactly. I'm just shy of $2000 right now.

I can get a room for under $900. I should move out, but when I'm a temp, I don't have any financial stability!

There's a job fair next weekend. Working for some... solar energy company? It's better to get in through a job fair. The agency doesn't take a cut from your paycheque, you're less likely to have your shifts called off, and you seem less likely to be laid off.

I want to live with the wolfman for a month, but I want my CWY money and I want to be an orange belt, first.

Orange belt should happen either this month or the next, unless the stupid continental shift kills it! I have three stripes out of six right now, but that doesn't mean I'm only halfway. Half a belt is spent with no stripes, and the other half you're collecting, because it's done by categories, not degrees of general skill, and you're not only improving in one area at a time. So three stripes is more like three-quarters of the way. But it's even better than that, because one of the stripes I need is attendance, which I should automatically get after I get the other two, and one stripe is katas, and I've got those down. Just need to collect. The final one is simple in comparison with black, and they're not going to let me walk around with my black stripe, but without yellow, for very long. I've been told by several instructors that I'm "almost orange".

Here's what I put down as my preferences for CWY:
1 Latin America
2 Africa
3 Eastern Europe
4 Asia

1 Environmental
2 Agricultural
3 Health

Why? I dunno. A lot of people told me every combination. Everyone felt VERY STRONGLY about something. I'll be happy with whatever, but I wrote the options down on a piece of paper from memory, and that's how I laid it out. I think it's what my subconscious wants.

Right now I put the groups departing in June as highest priority, but there's groups leaving in the three months after that, and depending how I'm doing financially, I might delay my trip. The vast majority of groups leave in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment