Friday, February 25, 2011

Twitter, New Job

I got a Twitter account recently. A job counsellor offered that we could do each other a favour, her giving me job leads through Twitter, and me making sure she presented herself properly. I think she might have just wanted a follower, though. It's all good. Right now, I have all my Internet methods of communication open: Twitter, Facebook, this blog, my email, and my brother's forum.

I never really took Twitter too seriously before. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but when it comes to networking sites, it seems like the newer, more "cutting edge" ones apply a logic that "less is more".

The first really mainstream networking site, MySpace, is now dying because people are moving to Facebook. The reason most people give is that Facbook is less tacky, and has a better community.

Well, if everyone's migrating, why would the community be different? They're the same people!

And as far as tackiness goes, people refer to the gaudy backgrounds and music many people put on their profiles.

So why is it that Facebook turned out so class?

Because it offered LESS! You can't put music, and you can't put backgrounds. MySpace is only dying because it failed to protect people from themselves.

And as for Twitter? It's the Facebook status function, if it had a far more extreme restriction. That's all it is. It has one function, and that function is inferior to Facebook's take on it. But Twitter is newer, and it's flourishing.

Oh well, it's still pretty fun. I have two followers, I'm following five people, and I have seven tweets.

My Facebook and Twitter I seem to be comfortable spamming, but I'm pretty selective with this blog, for some reason. I mean, if someone finds it, I'm okay with that, but I gave up the opportunity to spam it on the 2ndchance newsletter, and I've never plugged it on FB. Wonder why.

I got a job today. I'm going in for orientation tomorrow. This one's Afternoon shift. I said any shift was fine, but I was really hoping it wouldn't be Afternoons. It's gonna kill Karate! I was gonna change belt ranks this month!!! I'm working in part to pay for those classes, and since it pays by the month, I'll just be wasting money!

Somebody told me they can accommodate that, though. When I'd just gotten my job and was telling one of my Karate friends about it, I spoke on my relief that I wasn't doing Afternoons, since that would kill Karate. He said that the sensei can accommodate people working that shift, and give lessons during the day, and that some people do that. That sounds... weird to me, but I'll talk it over.

I've regressed physically. When I first started Karate, it was slow but consistent improvement. When I did Katimavik, I made significant improvement. I've recently regressed, and it's the first time that's happened, so I'm a little disappointed.

Canada World Youth has approved my medical file. I guess I just need to get placed.

2 comments:

  1. I have some friends who absolutely swear by Twitter, but I don't get that myself. I mean, like you said, it's basically just status updates. They say that they hear about all sorts of stories through Twitter, but you can do the same thing through RSS feeds, or following Facebook pages, or whatever, without creating an additional account just for that. (To be redundant, you can actually have your tweets post to your Facebook profile ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading one of your intelligent commentaries is always a treat!

    ReplyDelete