Saturday, February 26, 2011

Job Orientation

I went in for my job orientation at the agency today. It was really standard. I'm going to be doing "machine operating". It's eight hour days, paid lunch, $12.00 an hour, they want you to provide your own safety shoes, but they'll provide eye and ear protection. It's a branch of Linamar. All of this is exactly the same as my last job.

It's a little further away, but I'll be catching the bus an hour to, just like at my last job, so it doesn't really make a difference. My position is "Machine Operator" which I think is an upgrade on "General Labourer". They have to ask you, "Do you have experience machine operating?". They don't have to ask you anything for General Labourer.

I thought I'd screwed myself when they first asked me:
Person: Do you have experience machine operating?
Me: No.
Person: Oh...
Me: Wait. By machine operating, do you mean just operating machines?
Person: Yeah.
Me: Oh. Well, then, yes. All the time, back at my old job.

The contract has the start and end date as the same day, and that was two days ago. I'm not too concerned, though. I've seen that happen before. You just keep showing up until the agency tells you you're no longer needed. I had a one day assignment the year I graduated high school. I did the one day and didn't return. The agency never found me another assignment (well, actually, it's the same agency. They gave me another shot a couple years later) I'm wondering if they had expected me to keep showing up...

I felt pretty boss, updating my file. I gave her my updated resume, photocopies of my four certificates, and a reference sheet. Six pages.

At Tim Hortons, I ordered a chicken salad sandwich. The guy asked me "Medium or large"? I had no idea there was a large variant! Nobody else has ever asked me that, and it's not on the menu! It's literally twice as large, and the girl stuffed it so full... Never got a better deal. My mind was blown.

He asked me if whole wheat was fine. They must've been out of white. I was going to ask for that, anyway, since their whole wheat tastes like white anyway, so you might as well sound healthy. But I bet there are people who try to barter down the price when they can't have their bread preference. I bet they're like, "Why should I pay the same amount for something I'm going to enjoy less?! I come in here expecting a certain quality, and it's your duty to provide me with quality service!"

I don't know why people gotta be like that. In PEI, I saw a guy throw a packet of sweetener at a server because he didn't give him real sugar. He said "That sugar?!" and when he got his sugar, he said "There now. That wasn't so hard, was it?!"

(That's not an accurate depiction of the PEI people at large. This man was an anomaly.)

Anyway, when people can't or don't give you exactly what you want, I don't see the point in busting a fuse. You're probably in a worse mood from getting worked up about it than a packet of sugar can cure.

When somebody asks me if I'm alright with whole wheat, I'm just like, "Bro, for you I'd eat rye". Gotta spread the positivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment